Shapeoko 3 Making a Continuous Thunk Sound After Being Turned On

Hey there, I’m kind of new to this whole CNC thing, and I am having a problem with my Shapeoko 3. Every time I turn it on it begins to make a thunk sound over and over again. The power brick’s green light begins to pulsate and the machine cant begin its homing cycle. What’s up? Has anyone ever seen this before?

the “thunk” is supposed to happen once only, when power is applied to the motors and they lock in place.
No idea what could cause a repeated “thunk”, I can imagine the board resetting due to an abnormal current draw, and trying to initialize the motors over and over again…but that does not help you solve your issue.
I would say triple check the wiring, or better yet, unplug all three motors, plug just one and see if this still happens, plug the second one, etc…

1 Like

Thanks bud. I’ll try and check that. A weird thing is that this morning it stopped making that thunk sound. I was able to complete a homing cycle, but after 5 min it started again. Sadness :frowning:

Power off the controller before connecting or disconnecting motors.

3 Likes

Highly recommend you shoot an email to Carbide3D. They will help, guaranteed. I bet even on a holiday.

4 Likes

if the power bricks light it pulsating I’d be looking upstream of it to start with:

• make sure the power cable to the brick is properly connected, maybe try a different one
  • is it hooked up to a power board? try hooking it up straight to a powerpoint, or a different power point?
2 Likes

Hey everyone, thank you for all your suggestions. I contacted Carbide 3D and they asked for a video. They suggested unplugging the power supply from the Shapeoko’s controller and turning on the power supply’s switch to see if it pulsates. When I do this, the power supply is stable. The pulsating effect only happens when I plug it into the Shapeoko’s controller. I’ll let you guys know what happens.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.