Shapeoko and high humidity?

Hi, I’m new here and I haven’t ever used shapeoko but I would like to! However, I have an concern regarding how well shapeoko3 fares with high humidity. I want to make sure that there won’t be any iron oxidating (i.e. rust) after a couple of years since it IS quite an investment. At least for me lol. I have even looked into possibly putting a protective layer on the steel parts such as this type of boronizing. Would that be a good option in case the shapeoko3 is not resistant to rust?

(Btw the description says that Shapeoko3 is very durable but I wasn’t sure if that also means it’s resistant against corrosion. Sorry if this is a noob question I’m just trying to get as much information as possible before purchasing!)

We actually went with stainless steel hardware out of this very concern (quite often the machines are stored in garages along w/ corrosive chemicals which can induce rust) — the other humidity concern is the electronics. My suggestion there would be to put a silica dessicant pack (or a bit of gypsum dry wall) in the enclosure and change it out periodically.

4 Likes