Shapeoko and high humidity?

(Misty Roth) #1

Hi, I’m new here and I haven’t ever used shapeoko but I would like to! However, I have an concern regarding how well shapeoko3 fares with high humidity. I want to make sure that there won’t be any iron oxidating (i.e. rust) after a couple of years since it IS quite an investment. At least for me lol. I have even looked into possibly putting a protective layer on the steel parts such as this type of boronizing. Would that be a good option in case the shapeoko3 is not resistant to rust?

(Btw the description says that Shapeoko3 is very durable but I wasn’t sure if that also means it’s resistant against corrosion. Sorry if this is a noob question I’m just trying to get as much information as possible before purchasing!)

(William Adams) #2

We actually went with stainless steel hardware out of this very concern (quite often the machines are stored in garages along w/ corrosive chemicals which can induce rust) — the other humidity concern is the electronics. My suggestion there would be to put a silica dessicant pack (or a bit of gypsum dry wall) in the enclosure and change it out periodically.