Shapeoko XXL Router Options

I am a newbie when it comes to the Shapeoko or any other CNC machine. Was curious to know if I could use my Bosch 1617EVS router in place of the Dewalt 611 or the Bosch Colt with the current spindle that comes with the XXL?

The Bosch 1617EVS is too large for the router mount, and arguably too heavy — that said, no one has tried it yet, and people used even heavier 1.8KW spindles on the SO2 — nice vibration damping if nothing else. If you source or make a mount, let us know how it works out.

The Bosch Colt was the darling of the CNC world until a production change resulted in poor QC. Please see: http://www.precisebits.com/lab_reports/bosch_colt_TIR.htm

Most of what’s been tried is listed at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options — love to expand upon that!

1 Like

Any word on the new Bosch Colt (GKF125CEN)? Will it fit the existing mounts? How loud is it? At 7 Amps, 1.25hp seems “more real” and the 35000 RPM could be a real advantage.

The dewalt is 1.25hp. Most CNCing is done at lower RPMs than routers put out so going higher is sort of counter to the way most people try to go.

1 Like

I (and apparently others) believe that the use of higher router speeds would improve the performance of virtually all CNCs when using cutters up to at least 1/4 inch diameter with relatively soft materials like aluminum and wood. See SuperPID-help cutting aluminum?

1 Like

Deleted this post because the information was added to the original post

That’s great…as long as all your features are huge.

Deleted this post because the wording in the original post was confusing - it’s now corrected - thanks mikep!

You can edit them… click the pencil…

1 Like

ItsDan,
Sorry - the DeWalt specs also show that it’s input current is 7 Amps (840 Watts @ 120 Volts), not he 700 Watts I had previously heard. But, 840 Watts is still only 1.13 hp, which implies 110% efficiency in electrical to mechanical conversion. A maximum of 85% (0.96 hp mechanical) is likely more reasonable for both routers. Even that power is far more than required for CNC routers, which are limited by machine rigidity.

Both routers have similar/identical low speeds settings and closed loop speed controls. The DeWalt is crazy loud - particularly at the higher (more useful) speeds. If the Bosch is quieter (it probably is), it might well be a better choice for CNCs.

1 Like

The thing is, the hobby CNC crowd already had a fling w/ a Bosch router, the Colt PR20 — here’s how that turned out:

https://www.precisebits.com/lab_reports/bosch_colt_TIR.htm

1 Like

The bosch also has much more easily changed brushes…but…lots of downside. Yes, they’re rated at 7A, which is actually more than they’ll draw, and 1.25HP is “pretty optimistic” - but typical for tool marketing.

What are the downsides? (Note that it’s a newer model than the one evaluated by precisebits.) I’m quite happy with the 1617EVS in my router table and it seems that those using them with CNCs like them too.

I got the Dewalt and regret it and wish I’d gotten the Makita.

Why you ask? Because the Makita router allows you to use 2 wrenches when changing a bit and the Dewalt doesn’t. I do not like the fact that I’m pushing/pulling on the gantry while changing a bit in the Dewalt and trying to maintain zero. Two wrenches would minimize that.

But I’m new to this so I could be all wet.

1 Like

Runout is a pretty big problem…

Assuming you’re referring to the new Bosch Colt (GKF125CEN), is that the only downside? How much runout did you measure and how did you measure it?

The brushes in the Makita are also easily changed.

It’s also available in an affordable clone version in black:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/rocky30_router.html

I keep telling myself I’ll get one when my brushes wear down and need replacing so I can have a spare (and a router to use handheld / in a router table) — not yet…

Assuming you’re referring to the new Bosch Colt (GKF125CEN), is that the only downside? How much runout did you measure and how did you measure it?

: Bosch Colt TIR Measurement

Have you found it necessary to change the brushes and/or bearings in your Dewalt yet?

They’re “talking” about the old 5.6 A “1 hp” routers, not the new 7 A “1.25 hp” routers!