Shapoko Pro XL and VFD Spindle Kit - not spinning or responding to MDI commands to spin

Would like to report some strange behaviors from the VFD Spindle kit.

Originally the VPD spindle worked fine. Spun up when it was time to start cutting automatiatically and stopped when it was time to stop.

A about a week ago, I upgraded Carbide Motion, strangeness started.

Behaviors:

1. Oritinally the spindle would automatically turn on when it was time to cut.
    1.1 - a few weeks ago this stopped happening. I found out the hard when when the spindle turned on by itself in the bit setter cycle (mangling the bit setter button a little bit before i cut power)
    1.2 - from then on I had to manually turn the spindle on and off with the controller red button
  2. I had to manually press the red spindle button to get the spindle spinning durring jobs
  3. Durring one of the my recent job set up tasks, like initializing the machine, and then measuring tools on the bit setter, the machine would start moving in the negative x direction one mm at a time without any inputs (I killed power and restarted) - this returned once and then disappeared. 4. This prompted me to look for a Carbide motion upgrade now on build 662.
  4. I used the machine at lunch today (I work from home) to cut some foam tool inserts.
  5. I changed the cutter in the evening, and restarted the machine.
  6. Now the spindle will not start to spin at all

Troubleshooting changes in the last 24 hours.

1. Tried to configure the shapoko to automatically start the spindle when needed by setting up the machine as new, selecting the carbide compact router, cliicking the bit runner, and “show popups” on RPM change.

I will continue to troubleshoot. But the VFD is not operational at all right now.

(and yes the red spindle button is on)

///M

UPDATE: Installing an old version of Carbide Motion (579) resolved the issue. The spindle starts and stops as expected. And my spindle no longer attempts to mangle the bit setter. I will work my way back up to find the most current one that works.

Pass this along to support. Glad it is working kind of

You could also try removing the Carbide Motion folder that’s in the Carbide 3D folder, reboot, then do a fresh install of CM 635.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.