Shortcut for homing

I would like to know the short key command for running a homing cycle ($H)
I know I can go to the MDI windows, but I prefer to use a key (f.ex H) in the same way as I use arrows for moving the gantry around
I have search but not find an answer. Hope someone can help

All the best from
Flemming

1 Like

No shortcut key, sorry.

Why would you want one? This operation is usually carried out only once per session - at the beginning of operations.

Would building and running macros from your keyboard work for you? There is a very simple keyboard macro program called G-Hotkey, which, I think, would be easy to set up. G-Hotkey, which is free, also works for applications that use directx/direct input, so it will work where other programs like Autohotkey will not (unless AH has been updated since I last tried to use it for a directx game). The basic steps would be to assign to the H key these steps: press M to get to the MDI, enter $H, press Enter/Return.G-Hotkey is gui-driven so you donā€™t have to do any scripting/programming to get it to work. I canā€™t guarantee it will work; I havenā€™t had enough need for macros to try it out on CM myself. At least itā€™s a start.

1 Like

I am trying to build i CNC remote (Arcade buttons => I-pac => USB => Computer).

Thanks for input both of you, Think I will give @Boothecus suggestion a try.

Beside homing I can see there is no shurtcut for zeroing. Hope that
G92 X0 Y0 Z0
will do the trick

Kind regards
Flemming

Iā€™m pretty sure G92 wonā€™t work ā€” itā€™s disabled unless over-ridden or sent from w/in a file.

Instead, open the Log window, zero things, and note the commands used there ā€” I think itā€™s the G54 work coordinate system (which is how the system is able to remember zero after re-starting).

1 Like

I will be interested in your remote. I am thinking about doing the same thing, but Iā€™ve been too busy to get started on it. My plan is to use an Arduino Teensy, a thumb joystick (for x and y jogging), a rotary switch for job speed and a bunch of programmable buttons. I have all the parts. Unfortunately, ā€œmotivationā€ is not covered by Amazon Prime.

2 Likes

There have been some pretty cool remotes worked up, and I enjoy using a Wii Remote when I find occasion to grab one.

Agree it would be nice if we could get all the functions mapped to keys ā€” my ideal layout for a Wii Remote would be:

• cursor pad used to jog in X-Y
  • A and B used to jog up/down in Z
  • plus (+) and minus (-) used to increase / decrease speed increment used for jogging
  • Home button goes home
1 Like

Thanks to all of you for help and support.
You have made me go ā€˜tinkeringā€™ for a while. I believe I will end up with a combination between my i-pac and arcade butoons plus @Boothecus idea with G-Hotkey.

Will let pics and info flow when I have something psysical to show

Another idea I had when I was thinking about this was to include a thin piece of metal (one ā€œleafā€ of a thickness feeler gauge) to use for touching off. As I said, I just donā€™t have the motivation at this time to work on the thing myself.

1 Like

I have been working on the drawing for my controller and here is a pic of my first mockup. which willl show in public.

Gray circles are arcadebuttons which light up, when pressed.
With this 5 position switch I will select speed for movements:
http://r.ebay.com/78Kp9s
A red LED will light up for the speed selected. To confirm or get action I will press ā€˜moveā€™

Please note that my drawing is not scaled or anything. I was thinking of kind of stuff to my control to box - e.g.
a button to turn light on/off in enclosure
og button to turn vacuumcleaner on/off
ect
But I will mount something like this http://r.ebay.com/Pqp3xT to back off the controlbox and therefore I belive powercords and all other stuff then a USB connector will messed things up

If you have any input whatsoever please let me know. I will make an update in the thread as soon as I have something to new to bring to forum

1 Like

An alternative to the NO switches for x, y and z might be this https://www.adafruit.com/product/512?gclid=CjwKCAiAr_TQBRB5EiwAC_QCqwx5ibUdCxskmeINEklLSBoQYfwgLDzmUUZijcuil1Nh08mEMzrVQhoCM6kQAvD_BwE a thumb joystick. I bought two to build my own device but the parts didnā€™t come with any motivation so I havenā€™t gotten around to it yet. I think it would be good to add some programmable macro buttons. I could use that because I have several repeatable projects that always start at the same location and I have those coordinates written on the wall.

1 Like