Small project for someone

I was asked to make a chevy bowtie plaque. Had some issues and I restarted it

1st issue was after I used the touch block (X, Y & Z), I used the touch block wrong for the following Z checks. I didn’t put the block on top of the board, so all my cut depths were .25 to deep.

Next thing I messed up on was the center of the logo. I tried to do a diamond effect, like what gun stocks have, but it didn’t come out well.

Anywho, you live and you learn.

4 Likes

Great job learning!

For reference, the diamond pattern is usually termed “checkering”, and it’s best done by hand — hand cut checkering is much more lasting than machine cut — which doesn’t applu for decorative / textural usages such as yours.

I did some checkering on my XXL recently, but used VCarve Desktop for the pattern. It turned out reasonably well (see link below). As Will mentioned though, the only way to get good clean checkering is usually by hand and it takes some trial and error to get good at it. I have a friend who makes custom gun stocks and it’s a skill he has continually worked to get better at. Cross hatch with a V bit can look ok though.

Please note the actual checkering was removed from the file when I converted it to Carbide Create.

Dan

its something i should have tested before I did it on a project. you live you learn.

One thing to remember with checkering is the math involved in getting correct angle/depth/width for sharp checks. Easiest for me is a 1/8” 90 degree bit. So your lines are exactly 1/8” apart and the depth is a 1/16” (half the width for a 90 degree bit). This should give you max depth while leaving sharp points. The balance board example above has extremely aggressive “bite” when standing on it, I wouldn’t go barefoot. Math is obviously a little different for different angle V bits, but above is a simple example and it came out pretty well even on plywood.

Dan

1 Like