SO3 Machine Parameters Invalid

I’m getting this with Carbide Motion, Is this a hardware problem?

From a clean start (cycling the S03, the S03 and CM/Universal G-Code Sender, and cycling my laptop as well, I get this error, or am able to jog for a bit, and then the S03 is unresponsive.

Sometimes I don’t get it, and am able to jog for a few actions, but when it does work, after somewhere between 5-15 jog actions the S03 is unresponsive.

Universal G-Code sender lasts a bit longer, I can send maybe 20-30 jog commands before the S03 is unresponsive.

I updated everything last night. Let the S03 chill for the evening and cool off to test it cold, I’m still seeing the same results.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -M

Perhaps some sort of grounding issue? See the wiki at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Electronics#Recommendations

If none of that helps, contact support@carbide3d.com

i’ll try some additional isolation. Couple questions:

I’m running a laptop, is that effectively a UPS?

Is there any reason this would have spontaneously started? I haven’t changed my setup and didn’t see this problem previously.

Thanks! - M

Depends on where the noise is coming from. Remember, the controllers on the SO3 are computers too…isolate them as best you can from the router, plug the router into a different circuit (not just a different outlet, if you can) Be aware that most common home UPS’s are load-on-line until power actually fails, so they’re not particularly good at removing line noise, no better than a good surge suppressor. If you really want isolation, run the SO3 on the ups, and unplug the UPS from the wall (don’t plug the router into the UPS).

1 Like

I forgot to mention, I’m getting this problem with the router off. just doing a dry run. And my computer is a laptop, same problem whether or not it’s powered by the battery or has the charge cable in.

I also isolated all three power supplies on different 3 different breakers, still seeing the same problem. I’m going to dig through cables and find a better usb cable and a ferrule and run another test, but I’m seeing the exact same behavior with the power isolated. If the ferrule doesn’t fix it, I’m thinking this is a hardware problem.

Thanks for your help and let me know your thoughts. -M

One other thing to try is a different USB port, or even a different computer.

Sounds to me like it’s time to talk to the carbide guys, their support is top notch, they’ll get you sorted.

Cool, thanks for your help!

(Just posting this here to list all my troubleshooting in one thread.)

This is the version info I get when connecting via Universal GCode Sender:
**** Connected to /dev/tty.usbmodem1A21 @ 115200 baud ****

Grbl 0.9g

$$
$G
$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=6 (dir port invert mask:00000110)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=255 (status report mask:11111111)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$14=1 (auto start, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=0 (homing dir invert mask:00000000)
$26=25 (homing debounce, msec)
ok
ok

I’ve uploaded a screenshot of the settings output from Carbide Motion.

I am having the same problem. What did the Carbide people say?

If you haven’t already, please contact support@carbide3d.com

In addition to the link on EMI, we do have a page on connection issues: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/56-can-t-connect-to-machine-or-jog — please investigate things which might apply to your situation and which you are comfortable doing and see if they address it. If things don’t work, e-mail us.