Some advise please

I have 2 issues I’m trying to address.

I’ve had my XXL w/ the dewalt for about a year now, been playing with Aspire for about 6 months.

1st issue (see attached pictures) trying to figure out how to remove the “fuzzies” from the V-Carve. I tried to speed and slow the spindle speed down but no luck. I assume it’s in the feed rates but don’t know where to start.

2nd question (bottom pic) is when I set the depth the whole piece does not cut completely through. I’ve leveled and re-leveled the spill board, made sure its all square. Is this what other are referring to as Traming? This issue I’ve had from day 1 and never really bothered me but now I would liek to know how to fix it.

Any help would be great… Thanks!

What material are you cutting there? How many flutes on the endmill? 2-flute carbide from us? Have you considered single flute HSS?

We have sample files for tramming a wasteboard at: Wasteboard Plans with threads — We have a bit about tramming on the wiki: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Calibration_and_Squaring_the_Machine#Tramming

It’s King Colorcore 1/4" thick Polymer Sheet.

I’m using the carbide #302 bit, what is the advantage to the single flute?

Will make sure it’s all square and the bed is level.

Thanks!

I’m going to relate this tale here, and it may do little more than demonstrate what a buffoon I am. When I first started with the CNC, I followed everyone’s advice to touch off the Z with a piece of paper. In my CAM/CAD software, if I were working with, for example, half inch plywood, I’d set the depth for a through cut to be around 13.2 mm. And it never cut through and I didn’t understand why. Finally, one day I realized that I never took into account that I needed to compensate for the fact that my Z0 was not at the top of the stock but the thickness of a piece of paper above the stock. So, to through-cut 1/2-inch stock, I’d have to set the depth of the cut to be 12.7mm PLUS my paper thickness.

1 Like

To remove the fuzzies you can try two different things.

1. Cut the feed rate back to 50
  2. Run the pattern twice to clean up the first pass.

Either will result in a better cut.

1 Like

A single flute will allow one to take a thicker chip which should cut more cleanly. HSS can be sharper than carbide which may also help.

Two things, one, surface the spoilboard. Two, measure the material. I find very often that “1/8” material…isn’t.

1 Like