Steel-Core Belt Upgrade

I am defiantly interested in what you folks find.

It’s the very first post of this thread. You can choose 8mm, 9mm, or 10mm x 10meters long. But I see you asking for Kevlar. I ordered steel core.

Yup, just some miscommunication. I thought you were responding about Kevlar. I have steel core as well.

I ordered the steel belts a couple of days ago. I will be interested to see how they work out.

As far as calibration, I prefer direct measurement instead of cutting something and measuring it.

This is how I calibrate my machine: https://timf.anansi-web.com/wp/shapeoko-3-upgrades-finishing-up-for-now-2/

2 Likes

Yeah I also used my indicator and did some tests that way. Since I want to characterize the calibration factor at various X/Y locations, I thought it would be simpler to cut a test pattern and then do all the measuring manually, but I may end up using 123 blocks as you do, measuring, then moving them a bit, rinse and repeat.

Here’s my method for belt adjustment, works great, fast to do once you’ve done it once or twice.

2 Likes

It is coming out of the Netherlands so shipping will be a bit to chew on. Did anyone see what the pitch is on these Kevlar belts? Digging around like others I am sure and have not found any on this side of the pond. I have been thinking about having a backup set of belts. If I don’t i will have one break on a rush run. I would be willing to consider the Kevlar. I like the flexibility aspect versus the steel core. With all the upgrades so far cheap belts is like running low octane gas in a performance car.

2 Likes

I’m really interested in this too. I’m game to try either the steel or Kevlar ones. Kevlar offers better flexibility but does that translate into worthwhile performance?

The performance will be incremental as most here need to admit we are taking the machine to levels not originally intended. I am happy getting the next level of machine with a little DIY and incremental spending. Most of the testing will be qualified as pass/fail and a little subjectively added in for interest. Anyone who uses their machine a bit will notice changes, chatter, tolerances, surface finish etc. I have a Y+ direction chatter I will pay attention to. I don’t have the equipment or intent to spend the time to apply a scientific approach. We will likely start to reveal the next weakest link, at least I hope I see it before I break something. Actually I have had more frustrations with the electronic side than the mechanical issues. At some point I am hoping to kick the make it better syndrome and just be happy with making stuff. I did sent the kevlar company a question on the pitch.

3 Likes

The shipping was reasonable (a few dollars) on 6 meters of belts. I got 3 meters of steel, 3 meters of kevlar. I have steel on my X now, so far it’s much stiffer than the fiberglass belts in that direction.

1 Like

Hey, Mike. How are you testing the stiffness? Or, in what ways are you noticing it? Would you say it’s definitely an improvement?

When trying to move the carriage, it clearly moves a bit with force in the Y+/- direction, and is much more firm in the X+/- direction as it’s set up now. Measured? No. Direct comparison with a bit of qualitative guesstimation? Yes.

1 Like

Good enough for me to add it to my to-do list…unless someone comes in with some subjective praises for a double belt upgrade.

Mike so did your order from RepRapWorld or AliExpress? Is the Kevlar 2mm pitch? I have concern with the steel and the lateral load it applies to the steppers. Time will tell by the users.

Why do you think the load is different if the tension is the same? You certainly COULD make the tension higher. All I’m looking for here is less stretch over time causing me to need to re-tension/recalibrate.
Ordered from reprapworld- netherlands.

My thought or theory is if the belt is less flexible as it goes around the idlers and up around the stepper the side load will be increased. Without handling them myself I only have what I see in my head, or theory. Someone mentioned that the moving the carriage, with power off, takes more force. Unquantified but to me that incremental resistance is created somewhere. That extra force maybe what helps reduce the chatter being experienced by removing some backlash. Maybe I’m all wet wouldn’t be the first time.

Reprapworld has confirmed the kevlar is 2mm pitch. The 2 in GT2 is for the pitch for those like me who didn’t pick up on that.

It’s my understanding that it’s 2 for second generation and that there are GT2 belts with 3mm pitch.

2 Likes

Yes, typically if you see GT2 it means second gen. If you see 2GT, that means 2mm pitch (most likely gen 2). But it gets mixed up a lot.

1 Like

RepRapWorld order came in today.

Kevlar vs Steel vs Fiberglass. Got enough to spare for just in case and some future projects.

Probably be a few weeks before I install them (Kevlar). Plan on tearing down the S3 for maintenance, squareness and tramming.

4 Likes

Wow, nice photo of them. Do you have steel ones currently installed or you have yet to switch from the fiberglass ones?