Suckit dust boot surgery

I recently upgraded to the BeaverCNC HDZ, so I needed to upgrade my Suckit dust boot mounts to match the new Z axis. The Suckit site has a nice kit to do this, it’s affordable enough, BUT shipping to France and adding import taxes would have meant doubling the price, plus I felt bad about just throwing away the old parts, so I figured I would just cut new mounts inside the old ones

I first cut a jig in MDF to hold/center the old mount :

Then guessed a set fo feeds and speeds for the polycarb material (12.000 RPM, 700mm/min, and 0.7mm per pass, with a 1/8" 2-flute square endmill), and did a test cut:

Got nice looking chips and decent cut quality, so I took a deep breath and launched the actual cutting job (I had one shot…), and got this rectangular mount with two new holes.

Repeated the jig cut & mount cut for the other (left) mount, and finally 3D-printed a set of spacers, assembled everything on the HDZ, et voilà !

9 Likes

Nice! Now I’m inspired to do the same.

Very nice solution. I ordered the ears from Carbide and the new spacers from suck-it. Have the ears and expecting spacers tomorrow. If not happy I may attempt what you did. Could have the $60.00 for parts and shipping between the two.:crazy_face:

1 Like

Very nice job, way better then spending a bunch and waiting forever! Does anyone know what that glossy black plastic material is called, some kind of pvc plastic?

I think it’s just black polycarbonate, or at least it mills similarly.

2 Likes

I was really impressed when I thought you were milling the STEEL versions; still cool. That said… these are NOT the steel rabbit ears mount that come with the current pro version of the suckitdustboot. FWIW.

1 Like

Absolutely. My Suckit is from two years ago and my HDZ is from the BeaverCNC ages, so both designs have changed a lot since then.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.