The Beaver CNC HDZ Lives!

AFO fire balls bought from Amazon.com . About $40 ea.

1 Like

Here’s a more direct link to Amazon: AFO Fire Ball, ABC Fire Extinguisher, Fire Suppression Device, Fire Safety Product With Sign

1 Like

Hi Guys - whilst I’m not a huge fan of promoting sales publicly I have a few cheaper HDZ units that people might be interested in…

https://www.beavercnc.co.uk/product-page/beaver-hdz-2nd

Only 4 available…

2 Likes

In case anyone was wondering, the amount of actual usable travel on a standard S3 with an HDZ and shimmed proximity switches is

X - 18.445/468.5
Y- 17.106/434.5
Z- 6 /150

No frame mods and 1mm homing pull off + 1mmish clearance. That’s a healthy chunk of usable space over stock!

1 Like

Can the Beaver be used to mount a full size router like the PC 690, etc. ?

With the Beaver you could mount an Elephant with the right adapter.

2 Likes

You’ll be limited by what your X and Y belts can handle. More mass can cause issues.

1 Like

There are limitation to all equipment. Even a ball screw has limitations. Just higher.

I’m agreeing…saying that the HDZ removes the Z axis as a limiting factor. I think the X & Y would struggle, especially if you’re trying to hog more material faster.

1 Like

No doubt. The belt drive is definitely the most limiting factor for this machine.

The Y has two motors, it should be fine. The HDZ lets you see the next weak link, the 4 v wheels on the X rail.

Carbide has an upcoming fix for this but since noone wanted to let me test a set… I made my own linear rail leverage support.

Also adding extra weight can effect how fast you will be able to accelerate. The regular makita can run 3/8s tools with a $10 collet and has plenty of power.

Imo the belt drives are a great safety feature and will slip where a ballscrew will just keep trying. It would be nice to have a load sensor to trip feed.

2 Likes

How much does the router weigh?i run a 5k water cooled spindle easy breasey

1 Like

8 or 9 lbs. It would allow me to use 1/2" bits.

I would also be worried about the effective diameter being to great including whatever is sticking out the side of it. I’m not looking at the router right now and I don’t remember if anything is kind sticking out or wider at the top.

Weight won’t be an issue. You would need to work out a mount…

a spindle is also a good option - it takes up to 13mm bits

I’d look for a 1.5kw air or water cooled spindle with an ER16 collet… $200-300 with a vfd on ebay, and if you buy the right one you get a decent mount, or mill your own!

Just a quick note there are a few HDZ 2nd’s on the site again :slight_smile:

Last shipments before Xmas will likely be the 20th

Hoping to get one of these soon. In the meantime, I’m looking to upgrade one of our older Shapeoko 3s that has the original z-plate. I was planning to build something based on your v2 plans, but I can’t get the file to open. I tried adding the f3d extension, but it’s just not working. Has anyone else downloaded the plans and been able to get them to open?

Also, @Luke, Do you have a parts list for the V2 HDZ? It might be obvious once I get the file to open in Fusion, but it would be nice to track down the parts I’ll need.

Hi Cole

You need to create a fusion 360 project then import the file to it. I believe that will also add all the associated parts you need. Note all the ball screw and rails are custom, but easy to source.

Luke

Hey Luke,

I was wondering the other day. Is there any small maintaining that needs to be done with the HDZ? I try and dust it off and check everything but was wondering if I need to do anything else to keep it going smoothly.