Touch plate for probing Z height

Hi, can anybody help me where to find Touch plate for probe, I have Shapoeko XL and carbide 3 don’t have touch plate in stock. Would any touch plate will work on Shapeeko ? Like the cheap one that you can buy from amazon or e bay. Thanks

Anything works — you just need to detect the closing of the circuit.

The community has some notes here: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_Overview#Probe and elsewhere on the wiki — but we are working very hard to get the Probe back into stock as quickly as we can (maybe early–mid March?)

1 Like

Were any changes made to the alligator clip end? I know early on some first-batch users were having issues with them breaking electrically. I haven’t had that issue but I’ve also been more ginger with it knowing that was an issue for some.

Thanks, I got my z probe plate made and I am happy with how it came out. I have it working without problem on source rabbit by inputting the plate thickness. I went to try on Carbide motion and probing without any problem, but I couldn’t get to zero the stock and I tried to look for how to input or command G92 for stock thickness. Please need your expertise on this. Thanks

You can’t do so in carbide motion. You need to make a plate that matches the dimensions of the Carbide plate.

1 Like

One option would be to use the CM4 Probe feature, then adjust the Z zero by the difference in dimension.

1 Like

Can’t remember @ItsDan if you have a Nomad or some flavor of SO3 (the latter I think?), but for my Nomad at least, the clip isn’t necessary–the tools in the spindle are apparently already grounded. So for me, I just put the probe on my stock, jog over to the neighborhood, then hit the probe button–no alligator clip (or magnetic one) is required.

Thanks to all, I have It made to the carbide motion dimensions and am gonna try next week. its too bad that carbide 3 locked the input for G92 command

G92 is a local / transient thing — see https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code

While I miss work coordinate systems in Carbide Motion, I find that having an origin for a given fixture or setup which matches a rapid position point, and the convenience of the Carbide 3D Probe more than makes up for it.

I’m always forgetting to put the ground on my SO3…seems like almost every time!

If you can ground your spindle there is no need to ground the probe every time :slight_smile:

My solution to that was to affix the ground clip with a magnet above where I have the Probe stored — I can’t grab the Probe w/o moving the ground clip out of the way.

I think I’m going to sink a screw into the side somewhere so my magnet can be right on it. As it is, I leave it on a bolt about 2 inches away and that doesn’t seem to be good enough to get my attention :expressionless:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.