Touch plate routine

Hi everybody nice to be part of this group. I have a Shapeoko 3 XXL. Question, I use V-carve Pro & universal G-code sender. What do I use to run the touch plate routine?

Welcome to the party John!

You’re going to have to be way more specific - what are you trying to do? Use the CM Z depth probe?

Hi Adam thanks for trying to give me a hand. I’m using a Triqueira P-3 Touch Plate. What program do I use to run the X,Y and Z routine?

Ok, short answer: you can use G38.2 Z-.5 F1 to initiate a Z axis homing sequence. However;

Don’t take what I’m about to say personally, but the questions you’re asking tell me you are relatively new to this machine and the CNC world. If I’m wrong, my apologies. That being said; using aftermarket hardware and a gcode sender like UGS might not be the best place for you to start.

Have you used carbide motion at all? If not, you might want to start there, though it lacks direct support for your Triqueira.

When it comes to the question of ‘What program to use’, the answer is going to be ‘whatever program you’re using’. That is, the gcode sender you are using will have to do all the things: run your probe, run your gcode, jog the machine, etc. It’s not advisable to try using multiple gcode senders during a single machine session.

A gcode sender is just a control program, so the choice is mostly preference and capability. However, Carbide 3D’s support is going to be best staying in their ecosystem: Carbide Motion and their branded touch probe.

On probing in general: it’s a common misconception that you NEED to probe to zero. This is completely untrue. I almost never run a probing cycle on my machine. Lowering your bit onto the work very slowly by jogging, with a shim of known depth in between, is a great and highly accurate way to zero.
For example, I have a .01 feeler gauge from an old set that I keep with my machine. I place it on my work, then lower the bit to it slowly until I can no longer slide it freely under the bit. Then I remove the gauge and jog down by another .01 (the thickness of the gauge) and zero the machine.

Did any or all of the above help or make sense? If not, have you reviewed all of C3D’s startup material and trainings?

3 Likes

I use the triquetra on my system and love it. Charlie has a download on the triquetra website called the toolbox. Download that and it will write the code fast and simple. Charlie’s support can’t be beat. He actually called me within minutes of me sending an email with a quick qustion. Who does that??? Apparently Charlie! Can’t say enough about him or the probe.

Hey thanks so much for the info. I try to read everything but I must have overlooked that part. Thanks again.

I’m new to cnc routers but not new to cnc plasma. I used mach3 and sheetcam. But thanks for the info. I bought the touch pad so I’m going to try and use it. Also I think I can handle universal g-code and I already have a handle on V-carve. But dont let that stop you from sharing what you have learned. I’m always wanting to learn something new. Thanks

Ahh, ok! Then I’m less worried :slight_smile:

You can add the touch-off gcode from the mfg of your probe to a custom macro in UGS, or enter it manually.

Or, for a more automated solution, you should be able to edit the post-processor in vcarve, or create a new one, to add in the logic from the touchpad to your process. Probably at the start of job, or start of each toolpath. I’ve got a vcarve PP custom’d for the S3 floating around this community somewhere, you should be able to use that as a starting point as I’ve added copious comments in it to explain whats what.

1 Like

ha! Im 2 years deep waiting for a reply from charlie.I gave up.makes a nice coaster tho.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.