Touch probe no longer going to be offered?

Hi Max, I’m not 100% sure on the question here? I don’t sell probes or work for CM. Did you want the dimensions of the probe?

I have a CM probe, but I have also had to change my control software to UGCS - due to me getting silly with machine modifications. I still use my CM probe, I just have it calibrated in UGCS.

I wrote up the dimensions of the Carbide 3D probe here, or on Facebook — a couple of folks have made them and they work okay (but w/o the glowing LED which is incredibly addictive, and wonderfully reassuring).

Last I heard the Probes were supposed to be available “soonish”, which I believe now means early March barring further difficulty. Check in at support@carbide3d.com and we can put you in touch with someone who can make a more official statement from better data.

1 Like

Thank you WilliamI haven’t found the dimensions here nor on Facebook (not checked there) I’ll drop you a line!

, [quote=“WillAdams, post:184, topic:4786, full:true”]
I wrote up the dimensions of the Carbide 3D probe here, or on Facebook — a couple of folks have made them and they work okay (but w/o the glowing LED which is incredibly addictive, and wonderfully reassuring).

Last I heard the Probes were supposed to be available “soonish”, which I believe now means early March barring further difficulty. Check in at support@carbide3d.com and we can put you in touch with someone who can make a more official statement from better data.
[/quote]

Thank you Luke, it seems that those dimensions are public. I still use CM to send my Gcodes, I find that 4.12 fit for my needs since I have a non modded Shapeoko :slight_smile:
Max.

Hello @WillAdams!. Any chance of posting the link to the dimensions?. Tried searching and couldn’t find it.

1 Like

A Facebook post ( Redirecting... ) goes on to say:

Z probe is 22mm, X and Y 7mm, and overall thickness is 25mm. The other dimensions are irrelevant

1 Like

Perfect, F360 file done! :slight_smile:

Max.

If I understood correctly, this is the probe, right?. Units are mm.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s the mechanical body — the Carbide 3D version adds some rounding, logo, and electronics and an LED.

2 Likes

Share?

I have updated my model to have the rounding now. It also has a hole for a banana plug. My current method of attaching a probe to the cable. Are the electronics and LED necessary for it to work with Carbide Motion?. Are the electronics and LED a visual confirmation only?.

2 Likes

It’ll work just fine without the electronics. This is exactly how all the other probes I’ve seen work.

1 Like

Thanks, @mikep. I’m aware of this since I own a Triquetra probe. My question is if Carbide Motion uses the electronics inside their probe for something. I know their probe is an active probe (not sure I know what that means) and that Carbide Motion does not allow you to set the offsets for different probes. This is why we are creating an exact Carbide3D version. My model will be sans electronics. What am I losing?.

1 Like

In my humble opinion, this is the way Carbide3D should have handled the “probe-gate” problem. They could have made it available for people to build. Opened Carbide Motion to use any probe by allowing custom offsets for probing. Maybe sell the electronics as a kit for you to assemble after milling your own probe.

3 Likes

The nifty LED power indicator / test function, and I believe the active electronics make it a bit more sensitive/precise/accurate.

1 Like

@WillAdams, thank you. Is this “a bit” better worth all this frustration with their probe?. Will it make a difference compared to a probe that has no electronics?.

Given that I messed up a couple of previous touch plates 'cause the ground had slipped / lost connection or I forgot to clip the ground connection, having the red confirmation the probing will work is worth it to me.

Will !. It is possible to use a test of these probe with grbl 1.1?.

Probes such as that should work fine with Grbl 1.1 — you’ll just need to use software which supports such probing and which will make use of the data generated:

appears to be a red/green led, nothing to make it more precise
just visual indication

1 Like