Touch probe setup question

I don’t own any Carbide 3D cutters. C3D didn’t offer cutters when I bought SO3. And no, no paint.

I will try a 1/8 flat and a 1/4 flat, see if that makes a difference.

Are you part of the early testing program?. How come you got one?. Don’t see them in the Carbide3D store yet. Did I miss something?.

Sold out the first day, more on the way I believe.

When were they announced?. Really?. Have been waiting for so long. How was it announced?. Did I just miss it?. I check this forum almost daily!!!.

Yep you do, it’s a setting in CM as part of the probing cycle.

@Griff - there is no need to use ‘official’ cutters, any tool should work as long as they match the spec i.e. diameter of the preset - but even then the Z should work

If you have the probe connected and the alligator on the bit, what does the LED do if you raise the probe upto to bit?

@patofoto - Probe release info?

Sorry, they sold quickly.

When I have the cutter positioned above the target at 1/2 “ and the clip on the cutter I pick up the probe and touch the cutter, red led. When I initiate the probe cycle the led turns red upon cutter contact but the spindle continues to descend. I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

Just looking at your board you have v2.4 correct?

if so try connecting it the other way round using the connector pin on the Right hand side -

I’ve now tried a 1/8” flat and a 1/4” flat with the same result.

this is what I mean

Nope, 2.3 but without the giant cap for some reason.

I’ve sent a request to C3D support, I’m sure I’ll be hearing from Will soon :blush:

Make sure the cutter is not too high, while probing the Z it will only move down 12mm or so.
I lowered the cutter to 4 or so MM above the probe and started again and all went well.

The other thing to keep in mind is that after doing a X-Y-Z probe, the actual X and Y zero are not what I expected.

The actual location was 1/4 off the corner. Kind of assumed that knowing the diameter of the bit and the offset of the probe itself that the X and Y zero would be where I would manually put it at right on the corner of the piece.
No biggie, but just something to keep in mind.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I’ve tried heights from 1mm to 15mm. The cutter touches, led goes red, probe continues to touch, harder, led remains red until it errors out or I stop it manually. The target now has enough divots in it that I’m concerned re accuracy. No more tries til I hear from C3D.

More problems. Checked the wiring again, disconnected and reconnected the 5v and green/white to probe terminal. Turned everything back on and now the cutter will not connect in CM and the green led in the probe does not power up. The machine is dead

Solid blue led on the board (v2.3), no blinking red.

WTF, disconnected the probe from the board, powered on, board and CM back in communication, homed ok, jogs ok. Re connect probe, no comms.

I would guess bad probe — please e-mail support@carbide3d.com

Jorge got right back to me. New probe (held back a few for emergencies :+1:) on the way.
Gotta love that C3D customer service.

1 Like

Good luck, hope all goes well!!