Touch probe setup question

This is a great topic. I certainly understand we are all used to having X-Y on top of the stock, so this is a change in work flow at the moment, and yes this is a simple software change and nothing to do with the quality of the probe itself. I think it’s a very well build unit and should hold up just fine.

The key to CNC is repeatability, as long as we have that then all is good!

I always leave 1/2 margin around the job I am cutting, for the moment I will adjust that margin to compensate for the bit being marginally off, not a big deal. But I have repeatability, and as said, that’s the goal.

For me, I am not as worried about X and Y zero. This touch probe allows me to make more complex cuts, using different cutters and offers a super accurate way to reset my Z zero after a tool change. I can throw away the gauge I made that was not so good… Again, I now have super accurate Z zero repeatability, goal achieved.

Fiero1, I would hang on… It’s not the probe, it’s just a software tweak. I am sure the C3D guys will see the noise and offer a solution. Pun intended, we are just the cutting edge right now with a few teething pains.

Keep on cutting . . .

1 Like

I received my replacement touch probe today. I’ve only had time for one test but I’m happy to report it seems to work as advertised :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hopefully this evening I’ll have some time to tinker a bit and learn how to incorporate it into my workflow.

1 Like

Glad it all worked out!!

Check the alligator probe!!

:slight_smile:

You could always use mdi to move x and y in the distance of the radius of the tool and then zero. That should center your cutter on the corner.

Assuming it’s positioning the bit at the edge that way. I believe someone suggested it was close to that point but not right on it.

It sounds like the probe code is centering the bit at the corner of the probe instead of the corner of the stock. Somewhere there should be a setting for the offset on the x and y axis like there is for the thickness of the probe for the z axis. Those x and y settings would specify the thickness of the over hanging part of the probe along the x and y axis. (Those may not be the same.) Given manufacturing tolerances it would be nice if those were configurable in CM.

Anyone who is having difficulties w/ the probe — please review the user guide: http://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/touch-probe/userguide/ — if you have an instance where things don’t match up, please let us know the specifics and we’ll look into it.

If you have any concerns about the precision / accuracy w/ which your probe was made, please contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll sort that out.

The alligator clip broke after 6 or 8 uses. No biggie, I had several spares. The ring is solid.
It’s a minor thing but given that the clips are going to see a lot of duty cycles C3D might want to boost the quality a bit. :wink:

Hi Will,

I don’t think anyone has issues with how it works, just an open question as to why the center of the bit is not located ABOVE the corner of the stock just as it would be if we were to perform this manually. Instead it’s off to the side for an unexplained reason.
In my eyes, it would be perfect if CM was modified to put the bit above the corner. Right now I think most people are then jogging the x and y which really defeats the entire purpose of setting it automatically.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a huge step forward to have the probe, just need that little extra to get it to the finish line.

Cheers,

Nick

The paper slip in my box sent me to that page where I expected installation instructions but got usage instructions instead. I feel like I should have been sent here: http://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/touch-probe/

Ergo the usage instructions should have a link at the top to the installation instructions.

The usage instructions also give unclear wording such as “After the probing operation completes, CM will store the probed positions as X=0 and Y=0.” As Nick pointed out “the probes positions” is unclear. It certainly doesn’t store the actual position where it probed as it’s adjusting for the material of the probe, we’d just like this documented as to the intended behavior so we can even know if it’s not operating as intended.

If that’s the case, please write up a step-by-step describing what you’re doing, and how it’s not resulting in what you expect and send it into support@carbide3d.com

I sent an email on October 25th.

No response.

This is where it put my bit, looks like the edge of the probe instead of the stock.

If you grab the latest version of CM, 4.10, you fill find this corrected.

1 Like