Triaminics stepper drivers?

Don’t know if any of this is applicable to my Shapeoko 3, but I found this youtube video interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzO9skEYqwY Interesting part (for me) starts at 2:47

1 Like

We use either TI or Allegro drivers rather than Trinamics. For a CNC machine, I think the benefits of the Trinamics are less clear and our experience with TI and Allegro allows us to be confident that it’s very difficult to damage a driver in the field.

If we were designing a 3D printer, or maybe a lightweight laser like the one in the video, then I think we’d take a good look at Trinamics.

2 Likes

I 100% agree with Rob here; I test boards for Jorge (TI or Allegro) and put them through some really ugly paces. Early on I built a dynamiter and know exactly how much magnetic torque each axis can produce and then proceed to test each axis at (or near) the maximum, and have never burned out a driver…and I have tried.

On the other hand, I repair 3D printers and have replaced 3 Triaminaic stepper drivers to date.

In my opinion, Carbide3D’s method of using it’s large aluminum extrusions to dissipate heat is far superior to the little (glue on) heatsinks that I have seen on the Triminics (and often I see no heat sink on them)

1 Like