Tutorial on feeds and speeds

(William Adams) #34

Editing the Wikimedia markup to add entries is tedious, to say the least.

I think the solution here is some sort of programmatic tool which would have a number of features:

• load tool and feed / speed data somehow, either via external files, or from a database — either way, we need a formal description of how to describe a tool, and feed / speed data — I’ve noted in the past that I’m mystified there’s no industry-standard for this. I’ve suggested XML, and @robgrz was vociferously opposed — given that his MeshCAM is the only tool which seems to have support for this (see: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/MeshCAM#TPS_files ) I think that carries more weight than the old rejoinder of, “XML is like violence, if it doesn’t solve your problem, use more.”
  • display said data in nice charts or tables — it’s always seem strange to me that data visualizations are so beautiful in sci-fi movies and TV, but the tools for it are so primitive and tend towards clunky as appearance (and I say that as a guy whose 6 longest weeks of his life were doing the composition for Kaplan’s Introduction to Scientific Computation and Programming) — is there nothing which does for charts and tables what TeX did for text and mathematical equations (and no, as much as I love the Booktabs package, directly setting tables in TeX is not an acceptable answer)? Ages ago, found a graphical tool which would import a pixel image of a chart and derive the underlying, but unfortunately haven’t been able to find it since.

Maybe a Trello chart? (it seems to work pretty well for the Nomad stuff: https://trello.com/b/hqyIBPYR/carbide3d-nomad-cheatsheet ) — considered Airtable, but it didn’t appeal — if nothing else turns up, I’m probably just going to stuff things into (individual?) CSV files and typeset a table using TeX — if the community is willing to accept pixel images for this sort of thing, a PDF ought to be acceptable as an improvement.

Other options:

• nodebox
  • processing
  • some sort of javascript library to directly create an SVG
  • a series of text files which are imported into METAPOST and then drawn into a table
  • a series of text files which can be loaded into pandoc

open to further thoughts / suggestions.

In a lot of ways, this goes back to my idea for a machinist’s notebook.

(William Adams) #36

Finished up adding all the official feeds and speeds to the table (made using booktabs and the LaTeX picture environment for those who’re curious). Next up will be doing something a bit more useful w/ it.

CNCtable.pdf (48.6 KB)

(Jude Marleau) #37

I appreciate your unending efforts… this appears to be an enormous task you have endeavored to see to a success, wish you all the luck and good fortune, unfortunately that is all I can offer. Thank you Jude

(William Adams) #38

Thanks!

Working on it a bit more, thought this reference was nice and straight-forward, and generally useful in terms of ordering things as:

material > endmill diameter > chipload > calculated feeds and speeds

Just checking and making corrections on the calculated chipload / tooth on the wiki.

(William Adams) #39

Okay, next iteration. Using Google Forms to collect everything into a Google Docs Spreadsheet:

(William Adams) #40

Does this seem like a useful representation?

https://public.tableau.com/profile/willadams#!/vizhome/CNCFeedsandSpeeds/Sheet1?publish=yes

(Phil Thien) #41

That is a lot of colors with subtle differences.

Any way to add any numbers or different shapes to make it a little easier to follow?

(Julien Heyman) #42

I think this is awesome, and would indeed be awesomer if inserting numbers inside the circles and squares was doable

(William Adams) #43

Thanks! What numbers would you wish to see? You can get the values for a given point by mousing over it.

@cgallery — I’ll have to see. One can drill down to a specific datapoint by clicking on the sets you’re interested in — clicking on the material you want, is pretty effective. When we add more values I believe it will continue to be pretty effective.

(Julien Heyman) #44

Silly me, I did not realize you could click on an element in the list, and it gets highlighted. So I take back my comment, this is already awesomest :slight_smile:

(William Adams) #45

Thanks!

I guess the big questions are which aspects it makes sense to use for controls:

• materials — definitely
  • endmill — not sure why I didn’t use that, but arguably:
    • diameter
    • no. of flutes make more sense
  • machine I’m not sold on, but seems an obvious thing

I’d like to have some way to select a spindle speed range — that way folks w/ a given tool could choose to see only relevant entries.

(Phil Thien) #46

Cancel my comment, I didn’t realize I could click on a material and the chart would highlight my selection.

Very neat! Thanks for doing all this work!

(William Adams) #47

My pleasure!

Feedback on which elements to provide to be clickable would be welcome, and their hierarchy / ordering.

Converting the balance of this post into a new topic — please see:

Interfaces and data and so forth
(Julien Heyman) #48

The order most useful to me would be:

1. machine (clears out the field and one less reminder about the opportunity to spend money on a beautiful Nomad :slight_smile:
  2. material (input constraint on 99% of my projects)
  3. endmill size & #flutes (input constraint when you have a limited set and/or the features to carve demand specific sizes)
  4. min/max RPM (I personnally really dislike going to the higher RPMs range (noise!), and prefer to stick to e.g. 12.000 and adjust feedrate accordingly, when this is possible/compatible with SO max feedrate)

(William Adams) #49

Come to the Nomad side, we have fixtures.

(and peace and quiet, and an enclosure, and a tool length sensor, and ER-collets, and can use an edge finder…)

(Evan Day) #50

You can’t use an edge finder on a SO3?

(William Adams) #51

Not a mechanical one with a trim router — you can use it if you have a spindle or VFD which spins at low enough speeds — that said, I think my Nomad is jealous of the probe on my SO3 XL.

(William Adams) #52

Okay, I’ve added some more values, and adjusted things a bit further — getting a bit cluttered, but hopefully useable still.

(Julien Heyman) #53

Cool. Is it possible to make diameter a filter (like machine & material), instead of a legend/key ?

(William Adams) #54

Not that I can tell — numeric ranges seem to have a limited number of options — I suppose if I hard-code them to have the unit that would then allow that, but it would then disable using them as numbers to calculate the size of the datapoint (which aspect I like)