Unable to create toolpath

(William Adams) #21

You can drill a 3/4" endmill using a 3/4" bit — in a CAM tool which supports drilling and using a machine which is rigid enough not to deflect when plunging, or using feeds and speeds and a plunge rate which won’t result in deflection.

One free CAM tool which supports drilling is MakerCAM: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/MakerCAM

(Cam LaFrance) #22

Thanks for all your efforts. I decided to switch to a .750 Vee Cutter and it started to work okay for 2 holes, and it seems like the Z belt is slipping. It is very jerky and makes a ticking sound as it lowers into the work. The belt is as tight as I dare to tighten it.

What else could the problem be?

(William Adams) #23

The basic points of adjustment for a machine are:

​ Beyond that it’s usually a matter of ​https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Calibration_and_Squaring_the_Machine c.f., http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/how-to-calibrate-the-machine-for-belt-stretch/

(William Adams) #24

Please check the wiring (test with a multimeter if possible), and try removing a spring.

(Cam LaFrance) #25

This simply does not work for me. Can someone please try this and show me that it can be one on this software? I am just not getting anywhere. I bought this machine to make my work easier, but instead made it much more complicated.

(Cam LaFrance) #26

One more thing that I did not mention before is that Carbide create just konks out when I try to create a tool path. Some of the time, and also if it doesn’t crash, it says "not responding for sometimes up to about a minute. I tried fewer circles at a time with the same results.

(Edward Ford) #27

Hi Cam,

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having. I think a lot of it can be solved easily though.

1. Regarding your holes. If you want round bottom holes, with a 3/4" diameter. Then you can use a 3/4" endmill but you will need to make your holes bigger, but not much.
  • This is because something that is the exact same size doesn’t fit - think of trying to fit a pin that was exactly 3/4" diameter into a holes that was exactly 3/4" diameter, it wouldn’t work. We know that in real life there is a tolerance, but CAM packages work off math, and math alone. So, just increase the radius by .001" to 0.376".

• The other option would be to create the holes with a smaller bit (like a 1/4" ballnose endmill) and make each hole a pocket. The bottom wouldn’t be perfectly rounded, but the inside edges of the bottom would be.

1. Regarding the z-belt: My guess is that you might using a 3/4" wood router bit to try and create these holes? When you’re plunging with that style of bit, there’s a lot of surface area resisting the downward force. If your belt is tight (and it sounds like it is), then I would try two things:
  • Slow down your plunge rate in Carbide Create.
  • Change from an inside toolpath to a packet toolpath, which will could help in this scenario.

Please let us know if any of those work. Otherwise, shoot an email into support@carbide3d.com and we can schedule a phone or skype call to get you up and running and happy!

Thanks,
Edward

(Cam LaFrance) #28

Thanks Edward, I will get on it right away.

(Chris C) #29

Also note that endmills suck at drilling. They don’t clear chips vertically nearly as well as an actual drill bit and aren’t really designed for heavy plunging. I’ve torched a pretty new 1/4" endmill by trying to drill holes with it.

I find its almost always better to make holes with a smaller bit so it can move laterally and clear chips as it descends.

(Cam LaFrance) #30

Thanks Edward, you are my hero! The took path worked just fine. Now I have a different problem. The Z belt broke when I tried to tighten it.

(Edward Ford) #31

Cam - that’s awesome news! And also terrible news…

just send us an email (support@carbide3d.com) and we’ll overnight you a new one.

-Edward

(Cam LaFrance) #32

I want to thank all of you for being so helpful and your patience with me.

(PWCNC-Rick) #33

Carbide create does the job 95% of the time. It’s the 5% other in your project that wish’s CC Had hole drilling function.

I know it’s another purchase but commercial software sooner or later comes into your needs.
V carve desktop or pro… is my choice… helps with the few need ops that CC isn’t capable of.
Even though it gets me by 95% + of the time for what I need.
Starting out it did everything I needed but as time passed I started more complicated toolpaths and needed a little more capability.

STILL FOR WHAT YOU GET and the price point starting out
Nothing else out there compares to the SHAPEOKO IMHO.