Updating CM failure

I just tried to update my S03 controller firmware to 1.1 and got the following message
“This version of the software is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer system to see whether you need an x86(32 bit) or x64(64bit) version and then contact the software publisher”

I am running Win7 on a 32 bit machine. It is short on RAM but has been running fine with CM3 and previous grbl firmware. I hope this does not mean I have to shell out for another laptop😣

Any suggestions welcome…there only seems to be one version of grbl controller 1.1 available to download.

I’m afraid you have to have a 64-bit machine — the reference is to the computer running Carbide Updater.

If you don’t have access to a 64-bit computer then you’ll need to use a 3rd party tool as described at:

Aaagh

Thanks Will. I have to swap out the inverter in my 64 bit machine.

Actually a did buy a nice 64 bit Dell but my wife claimed it and seeing as she earns the $$$ now I was not game to argue. I dragged out an old laptop just to run CM.until I sorted my other laptop. I am sure she won’t know if I use her machine to update grbl firmware and put it back to original before she gets home! I assume its just the grbl update that needs 64 bit and the 32 bit machine will be OK with CM4 once the firmware update is done

I ran the Hello World fine once but came back to re run it and it printed about 1" to the left of the paper. I thought I would update first and then sort out what I did wrong.

1 Like

Correct. It’s only the carbideupdater.exe which is 64-bits.

Thanks Will,

Swapped with my wifes 64 bit laptop and ran updater again. The time I got a message that MSVCP120.dll missing.

A quick Google told me the issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/missing-msvcp120dll-file/f0a14d55-73f0-4a21-879e-1cbacf05e906?auth=1

I reloaded software as per link and then ran updater and now have 1.1 firmware…success.

Maybe a note for anyone with future problems and also highlight that updater only works with 64 bit machines.

Now to change back to old laptop and install CM4 and try to sort the Hello World issue

Thanks for your help

Alan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.