V carving Issues

Hi all,
I am trying to do some vee carving on some coasters for a wedding gift. I have had some luck before getting the program to do to some pretty good quality carves. In most cases, though, I keep getting a “dogbone” looking shape at the ends of the letters. I have tried multiple fonts, sizes of fonts, offsets of the letters and still no luck. Also, it is important to know that I am using the same vee bit as the one already included in the tool program. It is a 90 degree, half inch bit (Tool 301). I could not find threads that would help with this issue.

Thank you.

Usually this is caused by having the endmill unable to cut deeply enough due to limitations of width or stock thickness.

Inset the path by a width suitable to the depth which you wish to cut and do a V carve using the original edge and the new geometry.

Description of doing that at: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Carbide_Create_Basics#Clearing_area_around_drawing and c.f., Could use some guidance on creating a carve

Yepperdoodles, did you ever sort your issue out? I’m having the exact same issue you are having (with larger letters though, not with tiny letters).

Thank you!