Vacuum Hose shortening

I have a Fein Turbo 1. I ordered a second hose to cut the existing vacuum house down to length so that the distance between the Dust Deputy and the Vacuum are less, while still having a hose with all end connectors for other purposes (accessories).
I have carefully disassembled one end of the vacuum hose and inspected it. Then I reassembled it. What I found was that there is some type of sealant at the end of the hose that connects the end to a plastic part. I am not sure that I could easily and cleanly remove the sealant material and then cut to length leaving a clean /perpendicular hose end for re-sealing. I am hesitant to just cut off one end and then mash it together with the dust deputy somehow. The issue is that the hose O.D. is quite a bit smaller than the exhaust port on the Dust Deputy. So the gap would have to be dealt with somehow and, because I will need to disconnect it often, It can’t be a permanent connection. I suppose, I could just have the connection from the Dust Deputy exhaust port to the hose be permanent but then am I compromising the use of the Dust Deputy? Thoughts? Thanks.

Get an adapter 3D printed? Check Thingiverse to see if one has already been designed.

Use your CNC machine to make an adapter out of scrap wood. Knock out the majority of it with your CNC, then use a rasp or coarse sandpaper on a round dowel to do the final shaping. Wrap with electrical tape for smooth finish for the mating surfaces.

1 Like

Depending on how much smaller, I wrapped painters tape around my hose so it would fit more snuggly into pvc.

1 Like

I’m currently out of town to attend a funeral, but when I get back tomorrow night I’ll have a look at what I did. I think I used an old Rigid brand “pro” hose and attachments. My original Fein hose is on a shelf in my shop un-modified and not being used. On the sucking end of the dust deputy I used a combo of 2” PVC pipe and 2” flex hose. Let me see if I can find my forum post here.

Dan

Dan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.