Wasteboard Plans with threads

Just received Shapeoko 3 and one thing I noticed right away is how will i hold my wood to the board. There are no holes. So looking around i found no plans so wondering if anyone has created a plan to millout the original holes and holes for threads? Thank you all

Wayne,

I know you’re new but just about any question you have is probably been answered. There is a great search function to this forum, please try it.

And here is the present discussion on this topic:

Search for: Threaded table files?

1 Like

I have looked through the website and have not found the plans. I do see that there are others looking for it as well but no answer as of yet.

Will keep looking

And the search page is here: Search results for 'Threaded table files' - Carbide 3D Community Site

To add to that, the community has collected information on workholding on a wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Workholding

I specifically tried to work up a bootstrapping system needing nothing but a machine, router and a few clamps and a board: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6045

1 Like

Then, why have a forum? Why not just have a huge banner that reads:

“JUST USE SEARCH, DUMMY!”

That is the attitude that made me stop coming to this forum. I stopped building my XL and now have a Shapeoko XL doorstop. I only wish that Shapeoko had a forum for us hobbyists, just getting into the game, so we could stop bothering you “professionals”.

Rather than a condescending castigation of newbie’s questions and driving people out of this forum, maybe you could like…ignore posts with newbie questions and leave them for somebody who wants to help rather than post snarky answers…?

My 2¢ from somebody who got tired of the snark and just said %@#! it all and walked away.

14 Likes

FWIW, we never had / have this problem over on the original Shapeoko forums, and they’ve always been described as a friendly, welcoming place: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/index.php — please feel free to join us over there if you don’t feel welcome here.

That said, you should feel welcome here, and I’ve always tried to be understanding of new folks and helpful to their unique situations. (EDIT: but I’d like to think everyone should be willing to make allowances in the emotional overtoneless void of the internet).

2 Likes

As i said i am very new to this forum and i agree with BoscoBob. I did look for the plans and they are just not there. If someone can provide the link to the plans and prove me wrong i would appreciate it.

I asked my question in this forum as i could not find the info anywhere. While the response was appreciated it did not get me any further to getting my answer.

5 Likes

For the original SO3, the wasteboard file is at: http://carbide3d.com/files/S3_Wasteboard.pdf — linked at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Drawings (and Ineed to add it to the parts page)

It doesn’t have anything for workholding though, which was why I didn’t mention it previously.

I measured my XL board and posted the dimensions to: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/File:Unofficial_S3099_xl.svg — I (EDIT: wrongly) believe(d) the XXL board is just two XL boards doubled up (can anyone confirm? EDIT @dshay set me straight on their being different in Wasteboard Plans with threads )

Most forums have right at the top “search the forum before posting” as a consideration to not fill the forum up with duplicate posts.

Richs words are some times curt but the main issue is that there was an identical post within the last 24hrs “Threaded table files?” which goes over most of the same information. Work holding very well may be the most common post here.

So, next time I’ll search for days on end until I get frustrated and give up…which is exactly what I did when I couldn’t find “where does that little button thingy with the wire go?”

YOU know the terminology to search effectively. Bravo for you. I can barely tell the difference between the X-axis and the Y-axis.

I’m a pilot and if you were trying to learn how to fly and I kept screaming at you to “flare when you feel the ground effect start”, how would you feel if I just told you to look it up in your book if this was your first flight? That is how it feels when the nasty, snarky comments come our way. As my dad used to say, “if you can’t say something nice, keep you %@#!ing mouth shut”. If our “stupid questions” cause that much grief and consternation, and people don’t want to help, why comment at all to our questions?

I belong to aviation forums and we get many of the same questions over and over and… It is much quicker to post a helpful link than to go into a protracted didactic about how stupid the “noobs” are…and a feces-load more helpful.

Rather than start a flame war, I will look for a more helpful and polite forum and leave you professionals alone. This is my last post.

Good day!

6 Likes

Just for the record, Rich has been very helpful in the past in helping this newbie find solutions. Just sayin…

2 Likes

Bob, there’s a reason your reply has been “Liked” and ole mates hasn’t. As a fellow beginner i’d like you stick around mate.

3 Likes

You might not like that Rich didn’t answer the question. And it is annoying sometimes when someone says to just search,but I believe he said it in a nice manner rather than just saying “use search”. I don’t sweat the small stuff.

Since the topic is way off from the OP now I won’t saymuch more but I do wish there was more content with step by step or video on instructions on how to do things (even the simplest). Happy Thanksgiving to all

BoscoBob start building your XL again, its worth it :slight_smile: or give it to me for free :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Maybe just maybe the search engine needs to be better. I’m a CNC beginner and if you don’t nail the lingo exactly you get nothing found. Or how about a “Newbie” section where there is a FAQ page. I didn’t know anything about tensioning the belts and only found out about it because of the email summary I receive periodically. I have yet to successfully navigate Carbide Create, I get awful results, can’t even make a simple sign. The assembly instructions for Shapeoko XXL are terrible, it assumes a LOT! My mind reading skills are not what they use to be. Starting to think I should have saved my money for a much better machine and better (read intuitive) software.

3 Likes

The official FAQ is here: http://docs.carbide3d.com/category/10-shapeoko-faq

And there’s a community-maintained FAQ here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ

and various troubleshooting pages:

Eventually we’ll update the balance of the wiki with the material from: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3

If anyone wants to pitch in, just ask for an account on the wiki from the other forum of the group wikiadmins.

I was an early purchaser of the XXL, but about the time I finished building it out, life came along and got in my way of using it (life happens). As a result, while I have remained subscribed to the forum updates, I haven’t been on here in months.

What brought me here this morning? Sniping. One of the things I really liked on here when I was active was how nice folks were. I’m not saying that no one ever chafed, but even then folks generally made nice on the heels of it.

My grandmother always told me that if I didn’t have anything nice to say, I shouldn’t say anything at all. I think most of us have asked a question about a topic that had been previously covered. Sometimes it is an oversight or failed attempts at finding the information, sometimes past posts missed some nuance we needed.

If you must proffer the “search the forum” response, it would be a nice gesture to do so by posting a link to the previous material. Often it is as easy to answer the question as it is to fuss about the re-post.

Well, I’ll hush now. I look forward to becoming active with my machine and the forum in coming months. In the meantime I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and will have a happy holiday season.

There is a great group of talented folks here with much to share. I profoundly hope we can all (myself included) remember to play nice and reap the benefit of this pool of knowledge and helpful people.

Warm regards to all.

3 Likes

@The_Researcher, Hey Wayne im not sure if you have seen this but (buhmiller)Todd Buhmiller) posted this awhile back and was able to get the threads done in carbide create SO3: Success in drilling holes for threaded inserts! …Hope this helps.

Hey BoscoBob KSLE Pilot… Nice to meet you,Is there somthing that you still needed help with on your build? Id love to help and i know for a fact there is others here that would aswell.Just let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@The_Researcher
@markwal
@rwizard
@WillAdams
@RichCournoyer
@BoscoBob

Thank you every one who added to the discussion here.
Its a sign of a growing forum.

How do we keep experienced users engaged while fully supporting our New members?

I will create some Utility files in Carbide Create and work on a CNC Noob section with curated resources specifically for the newest Members.

Until the “Official Getting Started Thread” gets posted, let me ask everyone:

What resource files could be included in a Sticky thread for our Newest Members?

So far I have:
An official Carbide 3D Glossary -

Sample Carbide Create files:
A) Small Clamps
B) Wasteboard Hole Grid (1" spacing)
C) Wasteboard leveling

1 inch Hole grid for Shapeoko Wasteboard using threaded Barrel inserts

Small clamps

S3 Bed Leveling file for Shapeoko Wasteboard

S3 BED LEVEL.c2d (2.9 KB)
S3 GRID 1 inch.c2d (104.9 KB)
4 Clamps.c2d (842.4 KB)

9 Likes

Thank you for the link and reply, I did find this web page earlier and i dont like the design for one important reason. If i want to drill through the work piece i will bottom out on the threads that would be a disaster.

I appreciate that there are new files posted in this thread and i have them already this is awesome…

Thank you all… !!!

1 Like