As a little update to this…
The machine has made its move into the garage and onto the new workbench which is just awesome. Dead chuffed with it.
It was a struggle but with the wife’s help we managed to get it in there with only removing the z motor…
The bad news is I’m having issues. I spent along time looking at the mechanics and the electronics took a back burner… I’m paying the price now. Whilst everything works it doesn’t work together.
The arduino mega board is a great cheap replacement for a s3 board and there is no way a machine like this would run well from a shapeoko board due to the drivers and power supply.
Initially I started with a 24v power supply, but couldn’t get the speeds I wanted. So bought some Tb6600 drivers and moved away from a piggyback board better but still not great so I upgraded, whilst better it wasn’t enough so I upgraded again, a small improvement but limited by the motors. These then got an upgrade but the 40v power supply now seems too much for the motors to handle a program for a duration and they die off.
Now not only have I replaced the original board then upgraded to a mega, the power supply has been upgraded 3 times and the drivers are on the 3rd upgrade. I also had some issues running the spindle but hope this will be improved with a relay added.
I can jog the machine around but running a job seems a few weeks away. The worst bit is the shapeoko is now removed from the garage.