What got me started

Ever since I got the bug to learn CNC I have been wanting to make a camera. Even though this is really only a simply made one, I am super happy with the tolerances of my Nomad and how I was able to mill all the parts needed. I am already working on v2 of this camera but might need to hire someone to mill the body for me. The z-depth on a Nomad is just too shallow for what I’d like to do.

10 Likes

Very nice work.

Could you stack multiple pieces to get the body depth you’d like?

I could but the more seams I have to deal with the chances of light getting in grows. Ideally I want a single piece body that is as light-tight as possible. Doing it in slices was the first thing I was going to try originally but then I moved to a single piece. I need the back and front to be aluminum because of it’s rigidity.

Make the back and front out of thicker pieces and mill recesses into them for the interior?

That is the way it is now. I discovered that aluminum reflects light too much for a simple recess. Light bounces off the inside corner and into the film. For the next version I want to minimize the chances of light getting in.

1 Like

Thing of beauty. I too have chafed at the Z height of the Nomad and even (briefly) toyed with the idea of rebuild the Z like @Luke has been doing for the S3 but the effort vs possible gain hasn’t motivated (yet)

It’s either do slices (maybe with tongue and groove and a soft rubber gasket?) or send it out. I know we all all rooting for an all Nomad project but sometimes you have to choose the best method over the tools on hand!

1 Like

Agree. I will price it out. Would love an all aluminum body. Already have v2 ready to see how much it will be.

Is there any way to make this by machining from both sides using a flip jig or other means of alignment for the second side?

1 Like

Hey @MrJoe. The one I have now is already a double sided registered mill job. The v2 version is not possible because of the z depth of the part and my Nomad not being able to hold a bit long enough to go the full depth. It is merely a z height limitation because of the shape I want. It is mostly 3D milling.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.