What is this method of illustration called?

I am looking at ways to engrave photos into wood, and one way I think I can achieve it is by converting a photo into something as illustrated in the photo attached. Does anyone know what kind of rendering this is? Closest I can get is halftone, but halftone seems to refers more to dots as opposed to lines.

Also if you can let me know if any program that can convert a photo into the style of the one in the link, I would appreciate it.

edit: photo uploaded instead of link.

Your link doesn’t work…

I would have though halftones can be done with lines and can be done in V carve pro

1 Like

If you are looking for a program that will do a bas relief, I’ve used this free program with good results.

I’ve had less luck with this (although operator error IS a possibility…)

P.S. dead link in your post

I am going to guess wood engraving or linecut.

Sorry guys, link didn’t work so I attached the photo instead.

Linecut/linocut/line engraving — there’s an option to do it in more recent versions of Adobe Illustrator.

I think some of the programs listed at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CAM#Images may be able to do similar.

1 Like

The second link in @BoscoBob’s post is the one you want.

Thanks. I tried the program. managed to get a halftone line image I want, but when I import it to Carbide Create, it appears different, were only the outlines of the lines are illustrated (i.e instead of a circle, a letter O is visible).

Is this normal? Which tool should I used? v-carve?

Also, it seems to be taking up a lot of resources (both in Create and Fusion 360) from what I imagined is a simple drawing. Am I doing anything wrong in rendering it in the app?

Which program?

In Adobe Illustrator special effects and so forth may need to be expanded / converted into discrete objects in order to export so as to allow Carbide Create to import.

Or, it may be that you’re using a program which creates a G-Code file ready to machine using Carbide Motion — in that case, use a tool such as Camotics to preview/verify it.

A V carve should cut this style of design well.

Hi Will,
I wanted to tinker with the graphics and add some texts so I imported as PNG first then converted to SVG using inkscape.

I couldn’t find support online for the program. Hoping I could ask here. Halftoner 1.7 has no provision for entering tool information, so I don’t know how it creates gcode without taking this into account. Closest I see is Tool Angle, which I suspect is the angle of the approach of the tool, but perhaps it could me the angle on a v-bit? Even then it does not know how thick the endmill will be.

V endmills only have a max diameter — if the program doesn’t allow it to go past a certain depth, that never becomes an issue, so only angle is needed.

2 Likes

That’s the v-bit angle. That’s all you need.

Oh ok great! Thanks! I thought it could be an option to do pockets, instead of v-carving especially since I plan to do lines instead of dots, maybe I’ll export to png first to do that. Thanks for the tip!

Why not use a v bit?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.