What would ya say, ya do here?

Completely random question, but I’m curious: What professional backgrounds are represented here?

I’m a consultant for a software company, long time furniture builder and carpenter. What do YOU do?

8 Likes

Hey @Adam_Xett. Good question. I’m a Director of Photography in the film industry and would love to make furniture. I bought my Nomad to learn CNC and get my feet wet. Already craving milling a full sheet of plywood.

6 Likes

Currently, I work in child protection as a financial assessment officer. Previously I worked as a property accountant for a hotel chain, a tech support supervisor for a telecom, a business manager for a native government, a hotel/bar manager, a technical administrator for a construction company, a store manager for a retailer in Canada’s north, a research analyst for a tech consulting firm, and a computer support consultant for a university. I studied engineering and computer science in university, and went to college for business administration. Mostly I love technology and making things, even if my skill set is not where I would like it to be. I’m buying an XXL in the new year to combine those two loves, once my new shop is complete.

Edit: I wish I had two likes to give, one for the question, one for the Office Space reference.

5 Likes

I am architect, working in Caribbean .

7 Likes

Graphic designer/typographer — prefer to work in (La)TeX, but lately it’s been a lot of S.T.E.M. — mostly in InDesign, usually using XML, possibly w/ various Applescripts and so forth which I’ve worked up to make things go faster.

4 Likes

I have a one man (me) sign making business on a small island (population 5,000) on the West coast of BC, Canada. Been doing that for 26 years. I have the SO3, an Emblaser 1 laser cutter/engraver and a Graphtec plotter for vinyl cutting.

7 Likes

I’m currently working as a mechanical engineer at a company that does aircraft seats, prior to that I was the Prototyping Supervisor at same company. Previous employment was varied, aircraft structures mechanic in the military, sold Persian rugs for awhile, worked at a bike shop, got my A&P license in 1997 and worked as an aircraft mechanic for about 4 years prior to working in software engineering…as my old boss would say, I’m an “Allarounder”. I have always loved building, making, flying RC gliders, planes, helicopters and doing woodwork, when I took my current desk job 8 years ago I would literally “ache” about being back in my shop even though I love my current job too. Bought a new house last February and have slowly transformed the “Garage” into “The Shop”. Built a shed to hold garage stuff, and the only thing that shares space with my “shop” is a 2014 Triumph Street Triple motorcycle, everything else is materials or tools. The XXL was the best “tool” I’ve added and I’ve never regretted the purchase, great product!

Dan

6 Likes

I am a logger by trade. I teach in the College of Forestry at Oregon State. We have a logging operation where I teach students all of the jobs in the industry.

5 Likes

I am a Unix systems administrator for Penn State’s College of Medicine Public Health Sciences Department in Hershey. I work with faculty, researchers, analysts, statisticians, Prior to this I worked in newspapers for 35 years.

5 Likes

Excellent topic! Electronic engineer doing wireless R&D and product development. Nomad actually rather useful for this.

5 Likes

Disabled/retired Trauma Tech, and Trainer & didactic and practicum developer for a Fortune 500 company - who wants to feel like he’s still alive and making things.

6 Likes

I work in sales for financial services software, it pays the bills but my passion lies with building, fixing and making things work better.

6 Likes

Trained as an EE (today would be comp E) specializing in semiconductor design/fab back when it was wet chemistry. Before that, I spent high school in the shop. Last 25 years I’ve been teaching introductory level engineering as the day job (computer science and CAD primarily), and working a variety of things on the side including welding, machining, and safety, the last ten years or so primarily for a company that specializes in commercial ships and steam plants/pressure vessels (shipboard). Since I bought it to support my hobbies, my Nomad is one of few tools I have ever bought I don’t expect to ever pay itself off directly, but it has actually gone part way there.

6 Likes

I’m a Designer at a nuclear power plant. Woodworking and electronics (arduino, etc.) are my hobbies.

5 Likes

I am a Controls Technician for a large food company.

4 Likes

I am a Telecom Engineer for a large financial services company. We keep the phones ringing and the calls flowing at all our office and call center locations.

6 Likes

Career Marine officer, which is why this is only a hobby for me for the foreseeable future. I only have time to work sporadically on the occasional night and weekend. But I do love the process: The feeling of taking an idea, modeling / designing it, creating the toolpaths, and then watching my SO3 go to work, all to make a finished product. I think I like the process almost better than the actual end product.

7 Likes

I’m a Commercial Credit Officer at a CA based bank, meaning I work with the 1 Million and up loans and commercial businesses/properties.

Hobbyist by night and have always been into tinkering and building little things, so I purchased my Nomad :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would love to figure out how to mill a replica of the skywalker X8 flying wing, and install an ArduPilot in it. I just have no idea where to begin.

1 Like

I am an architect, I work with software of third dimension for more than 20 years and I manufacture clean spaces of energetic contaminants, I am in computers more than 35 years, my first computer was a Mac 128K, MacDraft was the first 2D software that we use in architecture in Colombia . I currently research and manufacture field technology and use my S3 for the fabrication of metal parts which I use in my developments.
I am a user of CERN, NASA, Quantum Physics, Resistance of Materials always focused on the minimum particles.

3 Likes