Whats your longest job running time?

Hi Guys,

I’m currently cutting some parts out on my Nomad Pro and its been over 2 and half hours now, I did get a GRBL error at the start but all looks good so far.

What’s the longest job other people have run?

Tim

About 6 hours is my record, I think, on some 2" thick hard maple that I had to go SO slow on. Love my machine, but the noise gets a bit tiresome after a while…

I suggest you download CAMotics (formerly called openSCAM), and feed it your .nc file. It’s machining time estimations are MUCH more accurate than MeshCAM’s.

2 Likes

7+ hours on a Nomad. 6+ on much larger and faster machines. I’ve got a job I’m thinking about that could easily be 8-9 hours on a Nomad.

I concur with @MrHume on camotics. It’s a very nice 3 axis simulator.

mark

1 Like

Oh I don’t feel like I am over running my machine now :slight_smile: yes I too love my machine. I’ve been waiting for years to do my ship project and kept getting turned down by CNC companies who said the parts were too small!

Tim

1 Like

Over 6 hours for an HDPE jig which I did in an early beta of Carbide Create.

5.5 Hours but at this point the stepper motor began stopping/starting over and over. I had to pause it and it kept stopping/starting even after paused. Carbide Motion eventually crashed after a minute while it was paused. I think my Nomad 883 Pro overheated because it was super warm to touch any part of the moving head frame.

I’m not in love with my Nomad yet. It’s been three months since I’ve owned it and this is the third time it seems to stop, start during a longer than three hour job. Maybe mine is defective? Or, I’m running 5000 RPM’s for too long. Not sure.

5.5 Hours but at this point the stepper motor began stopping/starting over and over. I had to pause it and it kept stopping/starting even after paused. Carbide Motion eventually crashed after a minute while it was paused. I think my Nomad 883 Pro overheated because it was super warm to touch any part of the moving head frame.

7+ hours @ 10K RPM with no issues just last week. Two jobs - back to back - totaling over 4.5+ just yesterday.

I’m not in love with my Nomad yet. It’s been three months since I’ve owned it and this is the third time it seems to stop, start during a longer than three hour job.

I would definitely contact C3D and ask for support.

mark

So far my projects seem to average 2 to 3.5 hours. The spindle and spindle motor do seem to get pretty warm towards the end. I’m assuming this is normal. On tool changes I give it a few minutes to cool off.

14 hours on a 7"x7" lithophane. 1/16" ball mill and a 30⁰ V bit finishing.

I have no issues with overheating with the cover closed when I use the dust head that pulls air over the spindle (with or without the brush bristles attached).

I had seen a YouTube video where someone had stuck a heat sync onto the spindle motor. So for anyone that’s over heating that might be an option.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that and already posted on another thread “Newest Upgrade - Spindle heat management on Nomad” so I’m going to stop replying for the sake of not double posting.

4 and half minutes. ): 8% complete. It’s a record for me.

3 Likes