XXL upgrade help Z axis plate HELP!

Does anyone have the instructions on how to assemble the new xxl z axis or pictures of where everything goes belts and pullys.Also is there a parts list for the xxl upgrade,not only am i lost on the z axis assembly im pretty sure there was supose to be a tension screw included for the belt,without a picture or instructions i wouldnt know.The only info i can find talks about the xxl full kit with a pre assembled z axis,not a single word about how to put the upgrade version together

There are some photos and discussion in this thread: XXL Upgrade - Unboxing and Construction

I will take some more pictures of my new plate assembled and try to show the belt routing better. I have to replace a pulley anyway. So see my thread that Will linked to and I will try to update with more pictures and details. I’ll try to update it this afternoon.

Thanks wiil and dtilton i was able to get the new plate together last night,Do either of you know if there was supose to be a belt tension screw included and if so where does it go,its all working except some slop in the belt id like to get ajusted,thanks for the help fellas :slight_smile:

I see this post is over 193 days old. I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I’m setting up my XXL and I’m almost as confused about the same problem.

First off, the assembly PDF dated May 2016 says my x/y axis and plate come preassembled… Mine didn’t. The plate arrived in a paper bag in the same box as the x/y axis assembly.

The first of the three versions of the assembly manual says to turn the adjustment screw on the idle wheel until the wheel tilts, then tighten the screw. If I do that there is still plenty of play/slop in the belt. I can turn the adjustment screw several more rotations before the belt becomes taut.

I have absolutely no idea of how tight the belt should be (when to turn the screw). I know of no way to test the tension on the belt.

I’d appreciate any suggestions from those who have already completed their build.

Thanks to all.

you hijacked it so its your baby now :slight_smile: … try reading thru this link it may help New XXL Z axis belt slips (tension bolt needed?)

also this S03: Assembly Guide (XXL)

and if that dosent help just put belt tension in the search and tons of stuff was coming up.I got mine going but really dont know how to describe the amount of tension on the belt,its kinda not to firm but not loose either,i havnt had it skip or anything as of yet.Im sure others with chime in to advise if needed,just post again with your results :slight_smile:

My machine still has the old style belt tensioning system (sliding motor mount), but I wrote up my notes on it here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Belts specifically using a tuning app http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6765&p=53075#p53075 — I think the wood shims method is safer than the prybar I used: SO3: Z belt skipping [SOLVED] — however you do it, be careful not to bend the motor shaft.

Pictures here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8249

1 Like