Z probe by Inventables

I’d love to get the z probe from Carbide but it’s been a few weeks since Copper was released and there’s no update on when it’s going to be available or whether it’s even actively being worked on.

Has anyone tried the Z probe offered over at Inventables? It goes for $30.

Carbide has pictures up on their Instagram that show what I think may be either a final test run or the first production run of their probe offering.

2 Likes

I tracked down the one Carbide is apparently working on, it probes not only Z but X and Y as well. Looks pretty amazing.

1 Like

Idan, (and fellow Shapeoko/Normad users)

It will be VERY soon. I am actually testing one this week.

2 Likes

@RichCournoyer

Are the new touch probe connections to the Carbide Motion controller made via the existing “probe” inputs? Conventionally touch plates have been a simple 2-wire connection, but I’m wondering how this active probe design sources power? I’m putting a wrap on my new dual CM controller project and would like to know.

Also, if you know the rationale for an active/amplified touch probe over the existing logic-level convention would you mind illuminating me with that information too please?

Thanks in advance…

There was a comment about that a while back in this forum. IIRC it was related to increased sensitivity (?)

1 Like

This model is a has a 3-pin connector. The connection will depend on the version of your GRBL board. On the 2.4 ver, there is a small 3-pin connector called “reserved,” and it simply plugs in there. If this connector is missing, there is a small pigtail that allows you to connect to the “Probe” (2-wire) connector + a 5V Pin (to add power). There is ALSO a ground alligator clip that is placed under one of the 6mm bolts on the GRBL cover.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks @RichCournoyer
Is the non v2.4 pigtail chassis mountable?

I do recall the commentary about the active design being more “sensitive” and would like to learn more. I believe the touch probe input is a direct logic-level input pin to the mCU and I’m wondering what the active design improves over this convention (i.e. what is the inherent marginal connectivity/operational problem that the active design is trying to overcome?)

You already scratch it, gosh!

Looking forward to your report.

1 Like

Jim,

Way to much information to ask at this time. Be patient. I was simply saying it’s soon and not to answer any technical questions.

1. Pigtail (see photo)

2). See it work (with some early software: Link

2 Likes

Rich, what are you running for a z-axis there? Doesn’t look stock?

Thanks @RichCournoyer… the pigtail pic is exactly what I wanted to see (not chassis mountable per se). I understand on the TMI aspect too… it’s really a Jorge/Edward/Rob/Apollo Q, and as the saying goes, “inquiring minds want to know”

Not familiar with Nomad “spindlage” @cgallery

2 Likes