1st V carve (with a PICTURE)

Hey All, I did my first v carving with a vee bit, (that’s why it’s a “v” carving?). Anyways, I used Estlcam with my Shapeoko 3 and it has a v carve feature which is amazing. I inported a picture into Sketchup and traced around it using arcs. I svg’d the drawing and opened it into Estlcam. Some of the outlines were not closed and/or overlapped (3 of them) so I just used it’s dot to dot feature to follow the correct dots to draw the outline that was broken. It took about 20 mins in Estlcam to asign the tool paths. When I opened the cut file Estlcam advised me that my feed rate was too fast for my machine, I could over ride that notice but I reopened the project file and changed the feed rate and saved a new cut file. It ran fine and took 16 mins to cut. Too fast, too slow, I don’t know but I enjoyed my result. Can you recognize what it is? Hey Mark… I uploaded the picture too, lol.

7 Likes

Now that is awesome! And using software, anyone can afford.
It appears that you were able to limit your depth? It’s hard to tell for sure, but that’s a good feature, and being able to find and easily fix bad vectors, as well.
Thanks for sharing this technique

3 Likes

Great job jude,thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Truth be told, this is the 2nd version. The first I cut a 4.5mm and lost a lot of the detail. Yes you can change the depth of all paths with one depth limit setting. I used 2mm on this one and I’m pleased with the detail. Step over is another thing though. My step over (I guess) is rather large at 5% so the re are striations on the bottom of the large cut outs. But that is “texturing”. Thanks for the encouragement and I do enjoy not having to depend on expensive software. It probably does take more effort but the effort is my creativity and much more rewarding than copying a picture and sending it through a conversion program. That’s just my opinion. Thanks Jerry.

2 Likes

You just keep seeing Cats in wood! I think they have a connection in your mind…I’d ask if you were flasihng, but that might get misconstrued…I mean one board-not wood, Carbide Controller…
Aw heck, Beuatiful wor!

2 Likes

Cat ??? ok ? marks don’t count.

2 Likes

Nice work, and from your description of workflow I’m convinced you have it all dialed in! I also would like to reiterate your 1st picture mention… there should be a forum merit badge!

4 Likes

I knew it was a bear form the round ears, but as it was similar to a tiger, I thought I would raz you just a bit! Yesterday was a tough day for me, and trying to add a little silly helped.

That is a great idea! Likes are good but something to differentiate between comments and machine results would be great!

2 Likes

Funny is good, glad to have helped your day. Funnier is that I’m working up a tiger and it will be hard to confuse it with a bear but I’ll let you have at it when it’s done. That was my first v carving just the 2nd try without reworking the drawing and only changing the settings I figure it was still the first one, but it was the 2nd attempt at the 1st one as it was more tempting to attempt the 2nd attempt after the 1st attempt wasn’t as tempting an attempt at my attempted result. A meritable musing…

3 Likes