3d carve brass challenge coin

I’m looking to do something like a wavy texture on a brass coin. Ideally rolling “hills” with a depth of about 1mm and and a peak to peak of ~4mm with some variation on both to feel more organic.

I plan on using carbide create pro with a height map or the built in texturing if it’s got what I’m looking for.
There will also be some 2d pocketing operations and such for general coin features. (Lettering, symbols, etc…)

For order of operations I’d assume the pocketing and general feature work should come first and the texturing last.

I’m also assuming the best way to handle the texture is to:

• rough the texture in with a small tapered ball
  • finish with a very fine step over parallel pass and a v-bit

As you can see, I’m using the word “assume” quite a lot. I also assume this coin is going to take forever…

Just wanted to check my intuition before wasting several hours :upside_down_face:

So what do you all think? Does this sound like a sane strategy?
Also if you’ve got any recommendations for specific tooling I’d love to know (I’ve got no issues spending a chunk of change on a good cutter, I’m certainly not looking for the cheapest way to do this)

As always, appreciate your time. I know it’s a lot of words :wink:

Oh and I’ve got a nomad 3 with soft jaws for work holding.
For final finish I’m thinking tumbling or my brand new sand blaster with some fine glass beads for a satin type of feel.

On that note, my sand blaster is literally brand new… like “I’ve never used one and it’s arriving later today” new.
What are the chances i screw up my beautiful challenge coin with a poor blasting job after all that hard work :sweat_smile:

Pretty low. Have fun!!!

2 Likes

Agree with Steve, pretty low. But I would definitely practice on a few scrap pieces. The sand/beads will ‘peen’ the surface, giving it a satin or matte look. Too much speed/pressure could actually remove material, leaving it looking pitted. A steady hand & the correct ‘stepover’ will yield excellent results. And like spray painting / air-brushing, you can go back & touch up areas that need a little more.

Top Secret Hint: Try it on wood for a antique / weathered look. :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.