4 Sided Flip Frame Prototype

This is a design I made using Carbide Create for a 4 sided Jig that fits in the Carbide 3D Low profile vise channel, and allows 4 sided rotation.
This design allows for a 3.25" long and 1.6" round part to be machined on 4 sides.

The Set screws that hold the stock conveniently sit inside the middle channel so if they stick out there is clearance.

I have include the Carbide Create file below.

Materials used:
2" x 2"x 5" aluminum tube with 3/16th walls.
M6 Set screws 10mm- 16mm
1/8th end mill
M6 tap

Ideally I would have machined the ends of the Tube perfectly flat as the first step.
For this very first prototype however, I used a file and square to accomplish it by hand, we will see if it was accurate enough when I get to test it.

The Carbide Create File
4 sided flip jig.c2d (19.6 KB)

Tool Path Preview

Set Screws used:

Heres a little hand-carved car design I made years back, and is the type of project I will be updating with the new 4 sided jig.

This tiny rocket was made with a 2 sided flip operation, I should be able to add even more detail now.

7 Likes

Great idea Apollo. I own the flip jig and haven’t used it much because I find it hard to figure out how to center things accurately when using pieces of stock I have laying around. This new flip jig doubles that problem for me. Any chance you can give us a tutorial on how to center materials that are not precisely cut to fit the flip jigs?. You guys rock.

1 Like

As always, I recommend a test cut first.
Trust me, Ive flipped my parts the wrong way before.

Regarding stock that fits inside the 3" x 5" window, spacers can be used - its going to depend on the dimensions of the stock you are working with and the model you are machining.

Its hard to account for all the variables when doing a 2 sided milling operation, thats why we carry stock that fits the flip jig.
A great material to test with would be the 1" thick HDPE blocks (3"x5") in our store:

The Store photo needs to be updated to accurately show 1" thick blocks. The store currently shows 1/2" thick. :scream:

Did you use the lo-pro vise to hold the square tubing for cutting?

Any thoughts for offering this in the store?

1 Like

@vegasracer
Exactly, correct.
The concept relies on the fact that each Nomad is calibrated to the table centerline, therefore the vise location is known and repeatable.

Starting with the Low profile vise being 2 inches wide, and the square tube is 2" wide, so the first operation is done with the tube ends squared and clamped with the tube flush to the Vise body.

The second operation is done on the 180 rotation around the x axis of the tube, using the first operation to locate the Jig in the vise.
Third operation requires flushing the Jig on either side of the vise just like the initial setup.
Fourth operation is another 180 barrel role around the X axis.

The Vise is the key to this 4 sided Jig, and used to hold the tube stock during machining to maintain alignment.

2 Likes

@mikep
No plans to make it currently, just an idea to test.

@ApolloCrowe thanks again for another interesting project. I may just get brave enough to attempt something like this on my Nomad. Still learning the ropes and I really appreciate the inspiration. Keep it coming!

1 Like

Here are a couple more photos of the Jig in the vise, I’ll update with results of the first cut.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to run a small dovetail bit along the edges of that ridge on each side of the jig, to add further registration into the vise? Can CC be made to do that correctly?

Design wise the Jaws already have the dovetail, so it would be redundant.

It could be done, but dovetail cutters are not a supported option in CC.

You would have to do some CAM judo to make it work.

It’s things like this is why I love this company! Cheers guys, this would be a really fun project to give a try.

1 Like