5 Axis Desktop mill

with the tool sticking out that far how can you retract without topping out i barley have enough room to retract to safe height with my router raised in the holder. Anyway i am making them just fine.

I need to reduce the safe height in software (Fusion). I have a guestimate 0.4" of space. So the various heights end up with something like 0.1" + 0.1".

Certainly these machines do exist. For instance, the Diabase Engineering H5-400 is available to purchase, I think in the 15k ballpark, and will give you 16" X 11" of build volume with a 4th axis installed. If you have money and work to justify the expenditure, there are options out there. Or if you just rig up a 4th axis on your Shapeoko, you can access the top surface of the hulls pretty easily.

Edit: Maybe build volume is more like 16"x7".

1 Like

A factor of rigidity is also based in how the machine is operated. Granted it may not aggressively remove a lot of material, but it could run a part of aluminum. I have a $200 3018 machine I started my CNC experience with. It did well as long as I used it within its capabilities.
This particular machine looks to be just like mine being a machine to get into that arena at a more reasonable price than others being more powerful.
I think some just like to criticize and cut things down to make themselves feel better.
If you know so much build a better one.

I donā€™t know why this has my hackles up, I guess because I started with a machine that had others cutting it down and it worked well for me to get started in this arena. I was able to create things I was proud of.
Stepping down from my soapbox now.

You mean the collet nut? If you have 1/4" of material, you only need a little more than 1/4" of stickout to avoid hitting the nut.

Iā€™m not criticizing this machine just because its rigidity is bad but because its lack of rigidity, combined with its high cost, severely limits any appeal it otherwise may have had:

• If you want to machine 5-axis parts from metal, you can buy a PocketNC for the same price. The PocketNC is more rigid and vastly more capable of cutting metals. Sure this other machine has a larger work area but the slow feeds and speeds necessary to give it a chance at working are going to mean large workpieces are impractical.
  • If you donā€™t want to machine 5-axis parts from metal, you can buy a 3D printer, which is much cheaper, simpler, and more flexible.

Iā€™m not some kind of rigidity elitist, the machine just doesnā€™t make sense in the current market in my opinion due to its combination of high price and low rigidity.

Your argument about a ā€œjust getting startedā€ machine may have made sense if the machine were cheap but at Ā£6350 (around 7500ā‚¬ or $8700), this is very much not an entry-level machine.

No. Rigidity is a quantifiable aspect of a machine and is not influenced by how you use it. That does not mean that you canā€™t use a machine that isnā€™t super rigid or mean that it is bad. As long as you manage your expectations and it doesnā€™t cost too much Iā€™m sure a machine like that would be fine.

Are you invested in this or something? Relax, an observation that it isnā€™t a very rigid machine doesnā€™t equate to calling the machine spawn of the devil. Frankly, I bet he could build a better one. It would just cost a bunch more. He is not attacking your 3018 machine and I am sure someone could make cool stuff on it. It is not a very rigid design.

1 Like

Here is the deal. I believe the machine has its place in the market. No, I have no ties to the machine. I have always stood up for the little guy All my life. It seemed to be being picked on.
Yes, a better machine would cost more and that is my point, it has its place. No need to belittle it at all.
Donā€™t think it fits your needs donā€™t buy it. No need to slam it for that reason.
I apologize if I had offended anyone in this thread.
Letā€™s just leave it at that and be done with all the bad vibes.
I know Iā€™ve had enough.
Thank you and I wish all a peaceful rest of the day.

Currently a 5,6,7 axis setup is generally superior/more flexible when compared to a 3D printer for composite tooling development. A little machine like this would easily shape PU or Epoxy tooling board, tooling putty, graphite ect. Carve up something that provides a CTE in agreement with you final tooling materials and process. Autoclave Prepreg ect. You can have a couple 7 Axis arms on a 100ā€™ rail, or you can have a little gantry deal, carve up a full size truck.

Some associates of mine do have 3D printers operating at their production facilities, but generally, build volumes no greater than the pictured little machine and easily twice the price. Great for little pedestrian projects. Something like a Desktop Metal Fiber, you can rent one for only $5,500/year. Definitely a future here.

1 Like

Yep,

It looks like a multi-purpose machine for a small prototype shop.

Like a tiny version of the foam body milling gantries Audi has here

Just an excuse to show an Sport Quattro really, and the new one, please Audi, make them and sell themā€¦

1 Like

Someone is selling a v2-10 pocket NC for a pretty good deal on the pocket NC Facebook group if anyone is interested.
I know rotary axis has been on the wishlist for a while. I was working on a 4sided flip jig for the nomad but tabled it as life got in the way

1 Like

In my dream world I in-vision a 5 axis cnc that balances simplicity, accuracy, power, and price point. Basically, apply the Shapeoko HDM design philosophy to a 5 axis CNC. In terms of software, possibly license Kinetic Control from pocket CNC. Again, dream world scenario.

Thatā€™s an understatement. They didnā€™t even change the name in the copy. Iā€™ve removed the link but left the videos up.

2 Likes

Here are the materials it says it can mill.

Millable materials: foam, polyurethane modelling board and tooling board, acrylics, engineering plastics, machinable wax and hardwood (for hardwood please raise machine bed halfway up, not recommended to be milled at the end of Z travel).

It also can do 3D printing.

I could see this being great for Movie or TV model makers. Faster than a 3D printer, bigger than a SLA printer can print and most of the models are just the outside is viewable.

They donā€™t seem to suggest, that I saw, that it is anything more than that.

Couldnā€™t find a price so you know itā€™s expensive but if your an Architect making model buildings, or modeling a product to see how it looks in real life, it could be great for someone, heck maybe making model plane parts.

It is a light duty machine for sure.

I did some research on the price and found thisā€¦

5axismaker 5xm400

Ā£6,350.00 Excludes VAT for UK/EU customers
5 axis CNC Mill & 3D Printer/ internal working area 400x400x400mm
Dispatched: 10 weeks

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.