5 Pro in Cold Climates

I often use my Shapeoko 3XL in my garage when its -3 C (27F) and have never had any issues up here in Ontario, Canada.
Can I expect the same from the new 5 Pro models?

Thanks
Gaetano

Which Z-axis does you SO33 XL have?

Hi Will. It has the upgraded Leadscrew-Driven Z-axis.

Cheers

I have a SO5 Pro in my detached garage here in Utah. We’ve been getting below that temperature frequently this winter, and mine has been fine so far. I think I’ve seen a few nights near 15 F (-10 C). My garage is uninsulated, but I do have heaters. So I’ve been starting the heaters up an hour or two before I plan to start running it.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Josh, thats good to know. I actually dont heat my detached garage although I recently ran 220v electrical that I could use for a heater.
I have gotten use to the cold lol. So I have run my SO3 at -3 C (27F) and have not had any issues. My cuts usually take 50min to finish and I do this 2x a week. I cut 3/4 in Birch Plywood. I was wondering if I could do the same with the SO5 Pro. Maybe I should just heat the garage.

Cheers
Gaetano

1 Like

A few months ago people were reporting issues with a lot of different Shapeoko when the polar vortex crossed the US. All of the problems seemed to disappear after the temperatures warmed up. The belt machines would likely not have too much issue but the ball screw machines the grease can freeze. So if you are warming your work space you will likely be good. However if you are trying to run in the cold you could have some start up issues due to the oil/grease freezing.

2 Likes

Thanks Guy. Looks like I will finish setting up the 220v line for the heater.

Cheers

Gaetano

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.