A method for appending components to the existing file

One of the things I keep bumping up against is the inability to add a component to an existing CC file that I am actually working on. The language of design software is settled and most design software follows the path blazed by Adobe. I accept that CC is not an Adobe application but it could use some changes. I keep getting caught out by creating a design in CC and then find I am unable to add another component. The work-around of exporting an SVG file is tedious in the extreme and after that process, when another component is required so the whole procedure has to be followed again.

Not having a normal clipboard behaviour for CC appears to be the root cause of this issue and I would like to request that a normal clipboard behaviour is added. Many issues I have had appeared to derive from the software not working as I would expect any design software to behave. I can drive any image editor and drawing application, which covers most of my design needs armoury. 3D design take me a lot longer because I have yet to become familiar with the usual conventions.

CC does not seem to follow expected conventions. e.g. Grouped files, when copied are no longer grouped so they are not a faithful copy. Grouped items should be a persistent behaviour and require a specific command to ungroup the components. I locate all of my design components in the work area according to the numbers and then find that the component has shifted by a small amount. Locking components in place would be a most welcome addition. It is not lost on me that we are aiming for accuracy with CNC work and yet the software does not make that easy. Designed components seem to be lacking fine-grained control. I can enter the numbers to 3 decimal places and find that an item has drifted and I have no idea why when I go back to it after carrying out another operation.

A system of layers that protects the work on different layers, much like Lightburn provides, would be very welcome. My opinion is that CC should offer a more standard type of design experience that one can find in the majority of design software packages. I am not trying to bite the hand that feeds me here but I had a very trying afternoon and had to redo some work from the start. I put this down to my lack of experience with the CC software but I finished today determined to indicate to the developers that CC could use a change of approach.

I understand that keeping all of the balls in the air, which will attend running a business with customers all over the globe, has to take a lot of resources. Because CC is a currently functional software, I think it is greatly disadvantaged because so much effort has been expended on getting it to the place it now stands. This fact makes it harder to opt for a change of tack and get the basic design system to be confluent with many other computer-based design packages. It ultimately means supporting a legacy software that could usefully be written differently. I would happily pay for a well written software that spoke ShapeOko in all of the important respects.

I offer this as an outsider and a newcomer to CNC and Carbide 3D. I hope it will be viewed in the spirit it was delivered. I am not attempting to create ill-will.

1 Like

There is a 3rd party utility which can merge two Carbide Create files:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Carbide_Create#Merging_files

Things should stay put though, and dimensions should be stable. If you can provide us with an example of a dimension which shifts we’ll do our best to bring it up with the programmers.

That said, having spent years of my life teaching graphic design, and putting a fair bit of time and effort into teaching our customers how to use the program, I don’t think making Carbide Create be just like existing programs is desirable.

I believe it’s best that the focus of the program stay on simplicity and ease of use, and accessibility to the typical kinds of folks who are buying our machines.

Moreover, anyone who wishes to use a traditional graphic design application can just buy one (or use Inkscape), use that to prepare files, and import the files from the professional application.

Thanks for the information, Will. I think it will be easier to design my work outside of CC and bring it in just to create the toolpaths.

I did not save the file and could not attest to what provoked it. I have seen it on several occasions though.

I have no argument with that rationale. I found it very helpful right at the start.

Agreed! I will just use Affinity Designer and import SVG files at 96dpi for CC so that I can generate the toolpaths.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.