A monkey gets his hands on a Shapeoko (Regularly Updated)

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I look at your posts all the time for new ideas being a newbie.

Hi Scott,
I’m BRAND NEW to my Shapeoko 3xl.
I LOVE your work. You obviously know what you are doing.
I’m making a maple cutting board with a blue epoxy line for my police officer daughter.
I want to put her badge above the thin blue line. So I am looking for a police badge drawing. Can you direct me on a good source? Something I can change in Canva to make it appropriate for different agencies?

Do you have any suggestions on where to go?
Preferably free, but if it is a good/clean drawing, I can pay.

Thanks

Jim in McKinney TEXAS

1 Like

Mineral Oil is OK to use, but it absorbs into the wood so eventually you have to re-apply. You might try tung oil.

Jim Caauwe
New CNC’er
McKinney, TX

I decided to use Watco Natural Oil.

Thanks

I made a badge on a box for a friend. I went to the agency website and found the department badge. You may need to find press page that has logos and so forth.

1 Like

I have yet to find food safe epoxy. Does anyone else know if there is a safe epoxy?

Well, epoxy is considered food safe when it is mixed correctly and fully cured.
There are also some FDA approved epoxies: read more here.

2 Likes

Thank you for the link. Great info.

According to the guidelines for handling uncured epoxy, this is what you should be wearing:

4 Likes

When I saw the haz mat suit I thought at first it was the CDC recommended monkey pox protection. However the suit is very stylish and a very stunning blue.

1 Like

I LIKE the blue color!

Hey Monkey - I noticed you mentioned you framed many of your cuts. Any advice for those of us that have never done framing?

Simple frames can be made on a table saw and/or router table. If you want profiled cuts I suggest you go to Infinity Cutting Tools or Eagle America/MCLS. These two companies have many frame profiles to make on the router table.

If you go to a molding company website you can find the profiles often in svg form. If you are good at creating 3d images you can make the profiles on the Shapeoko. Depending on your machine and how large of a model you have you might have to tile the cut on smaller machines.

Here is a quick search for molding profiles:

I have found many more in the past just have to some google work.

1 Like

I keep my frames pretty simple. I just buy sticks of 1"×2" and cut them down to rough length and then use my shapeoko to cut a rabbet along one edge. Only real advice I could give is make sure your miter/table saw is dialed in with a nice sharp blade on it so the miters come together with no fuss, and that a nice flat assembly tabletop is crucial to get things lined up when pinning them at the corners (or use a nice miter clamp system). I use wood glue and a 23 gauge pin nailer to hold them together at the miters.

5 Likes

Etsy has makers who sell svg for cheap like $2.50 and $5

Fantastic work! As someone from Knoxville, I really love all of the Tennessee themed items.