A monkey gets his hands on a Shapeoko (Regularly Updated)

How did you do the background of the lighted piece? what materials/finishes?

The background is an edge glued pine panel textured using Carbide Create. A little sanding and primer, followed by a coat of flat black and then 2 coats of “metallic” paint. All just typical off-the-shelf aerosol spray paint. I prefer Rustoleum over Krylon by a large margin.

1 Like

thanks, can you tell me what size bit you used for that texture? also is the logo wood or pvc?

The logo is wood, as well. The bit used for the texture was a #202 .25" ball mill.

1 Like

I was trying to do my version of SF with the City scape/ bay bridge ,water ,and the reflection. I noticed that your sky/ city scape perimeter is super flat & clean, That is really tough to do when using a 1/16" flat mill then a 1" diam. clearance tool. I’m using Vcarve pro. How do you get it so seamless ( Like the Knoxville ) when changing tools?
Or are you cutting out the whole black city profile and gluing to the background, that would certainly work too I suppose.
Thanks

Aaron

1 Like

this sort of picture is great for “advanced vcarve” like toolpaths,
when I did mine it came out great:

3 Likes

Thanks for the response but it doesn’t answer my question, I can see you have issues with the perimeter edge where 2 tool cutting paths meet . Scott’s edge is spotless. It’s almost impossible, without some sanding,

@aaronz, do you have a BitSetter?

1 Like

No , I Do not.
Thanks
AZ

Small world, I was actually born just outside San Francisco. I need to go take a look at my cut files before I give you a run down on my procedure for getting these results. It may be considered a little unorthodox. Give me a little bit and I’ll get back to you, busy day today.

Hi Neil;
Seems that I need to get a BitSetter, …also it appears you are a programming guru, I have virtually no experience with that.

I’m Using Vectric V carve pro 9.5 , will this be a problem? Do I need to add the M6 command to all my g codes? Dont know how to do that.
I just watched the Carbide 3D You tube intro. I can see this will improve workflow/ accuracy immensely , just concerned about the VCarve - CM conversion.
Thanks for your help;
Aaron

To add the M6 command to your Vectric files either edit your post-processor to support tool changes or get and install:

3 Likes

Awesome work! I’m curious about your varying hexagon pattern depths, did you extrude them in the CAD manually or use some kind of script to get the different depths?

Thanks Will - I followed the read me file and copied the two PP files ( one for inches the other for mm) into my Vectric my post-processor , also copied the 2 Grbl_inch and Grbl_mm files into that folder.
Is that all need to do?
I dont know how to modify further to support or add the M6 command.
Just installed C-Motion 5.13 and purchased the Bitsetter as well.
Thank you;

Open a post-processor in a text editor and resave it under a different name, then scroll through it to where the tool change settings are and edit appropriately, or just get and install:

Your explanation is not clear at all- “edit appropriately”?

Didn’t I just " install " the V Carve PPs by copying them into the PProcessor folder?
What more is needed to install?
I am not a PC person at all. Been using Macs for 30 + years.

Please just install the post-processor which I have linked if you don’t wish to edit one of the Vectric ones:

I thought I did " install " the V Carve PPs …by copying them into the Vectric PProcessor folder ? Is copying into the folder the same as installing?
If so, then I did it.
I guess I’ll need to wait until the bit setter arrives to see how the M6 command is going to work.

Yes. When you go to save toolpaths, select the option to export all tools in one path and choose the Grbl_mm_TC.pp post processor. It takes care of the M6 and other tool change commands. You shouldn’t need to do anything else.

3 Likes

That is the answer I so desperately needed :wink:
Thank you Neil, for making that clear.

1 Like