About electrics

Similar to my other question about extraction, but this time about power supplies…

I’ve purchased a NVR (see here) with intention of connecting it to a 4-gang training lead, but this is not recommended by the supplier. So I’d like to ask the panel which device should I connect to it, the router or the Shapeoko?

Secondly, I read in the construction manual that the mains leads should be located away from the control box to stop ‘interference’. Would it be safe to run the mains supply cable/transformer/low voltage cable combination to the control box under the Shapeoko, or would it be better to install everything below the table, i.e. drill a hole big enough to push the plug for the control box from underneath?

Thank you.

I don’t see the recommendation about not using a multi-way lead on the web listing there, is it in the instructions that come with it? There’s various reasons why a vendor would likely suggest you don’t do this (other than just selling more NVR switches);

• Too many tools might overload the NVR switch
  • The use of the NVR to power off the tool for bit / blade changes becomes harder if there’s multiple tools
  • If there’s lots of tools connected the big STOP button might not be close to the tool you’re using, making the e-stop a bit useless

There’s good advice about keeping the power cable for the router away from the low voltage wiring of the machine as this can radiate quite a bit of electrical noise and cause problems with the Shapeoko controller and USB connection.

Putting the Shapeoko power brick under the table and running the DC power cord up to the machine keeps the power brick out the the way and tidy.

Hi Liam,

The guidance regarding multiple devices was via email from the supplier - I had actually toyed with the idea of replacing the single with a twin as I only really wanted to use it for the Shapeoko and router. For tool changes I probably wouldn’t use the kill switch, so maybe the answer to my question is ‘the router’?

Your other comment makes eminent sense. I will install the ‘brick’ on a tray under the worktop and feed the low voltage cable from underneath, probably with the USB lead, too. The inline switch on the low voltage side could have designed better, to be honest. Wouldn’t it be great if that could wall mounted outside an enclosure? I wonder how many people leave that switched on and use the switch on the outlet?

1 Like

Well,

I can see why the supplier would recommend to only use a single device, they need to be cautious about recommending anything that might be unsafe for the customer. I have a master STOP switch which cuts power to the Shapeoko and the Spindle together, I also have switches downstream of that that allow me to turn the Shapeoko and spindle on individually. I wouldn’t cut their socket off the end of the lead though, no more warranty if you do that.

I do not remember ever using the switch on the Shapeoko power lead, although I suspect I must have turned it on once initially. I turn on mains power to the Shapeoko, connect Carbide Motion and the Shapoko stays on until I’m finished working. It’s the router / spindle that you really want to be able to power off to change tools.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.