Adaptive clear = bollocks

i cut a lot of holes and rectangles in Hammond boxes…

commonly i do regular 2d contours, ramp in about .5mm at a time, fine. tonight i thought i’d try this thing i keep seeing every CNCtuber on the planet using, and big surprise, it just went to shit immediately. #102Z, .5mm engagement, 300mm/s (maybe less, i hit override but don’t know to what), 2.5 speed on the carbide router. as soon as my endmill hit the first wall it clogged up, paused 5+ times through a 15x60mm cutout, and wound up filing it out anyway because it looked like i cut it with a sawzall when done because of the chip welding.

hammond box walls are ~2mm thick (1.85 on this one) so, if i’m only going for HALF a millimeter of flute engagement at not even 300mm/min… which i thought was being conservative, unless something about it being diecast is just hosing me? should i be going way faster and cutting off like .1mm instead? ugh.

Hi,
The thing is, adaptive clearing requires a slightly different mindset than regular pocketing/profile cutting. When doing regular 2D contours, you have a large cutter engagement (50% when cutting a slot/profile) so you typically go easy on the depth of cut (e.g. your “.5mm at a time”), but use a large stepover (40-50% is typical). Now the whole point of adaptive clearing (and high-speed machining in general) is instead to use a much lower cutter engagement (as you noted) BUT at a higher feedrate and deeper depth of cut, and having the CAM tool figure out a toolpath that will maintain the cutter engagement constant.

DISCLAIMER: you did not tell us which material your Hammond boxes are made of, so I’ll assume it was aluminium. If it is anything harder than that, the rest of this post is partially invalid.

I suspect you may have been reusing feeds and speeds that work for regular profile cuts, in your adaptive clearing toolpaths ? If I look at your data, you are using a 2 flute 1/8" endmill (#102Z), at 15.000RPM (2.5 on the CCrouter), with 0.5mm stepover, and 300mm/min feedrate.
The corresponding chipload is 300 / (2 x15000) = 0.01mm = 0.00039", but in reality due to chip thinning induced by the small stepover (0.5mm over 3.175mm = 16% stepover), the actual chip thickness is 1.4 times lower, so you end up cutting chips that are 0.0003" thick. That’s about three times lower than the “magical” chip thickness value for metal which is 0.001", and that’s not even taking into account the fact that you used feed override to a lower feedrate, so in reality your chipload was probably even smaller. It does not mean it cannot work, it means you will be operating very near the limit where the cutter can start rubbing metal rather than cutting, and when this happens you get melting, and clogging of the flutes, as I understand you saw. If you are not using some kind of air assist for clearing chips AND a sharp/fresh #102Z, I’m not too surprised that you would get a c****y cut at these settings.

So my opinion is that you should go two to three times faster (i.e. 1000mm/min feedrate), use a little bit of WD40 and/or an air blast, use a deeper depth of cut (say 3mm) with helical ramping, and suddenly you’ll fall in love with adaptive clearing like the rest of us :slight_smile:

FYI, here’s an example of cutting parameters I used for cutting aluminium using adaptive clearing and the #102Z, and that got me nice results.

N.B: also, while I’m a fan of the Sex Pistols, I’m not sure the title of the post complies with the etiquette of the forum :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.