Adding tool diameter to the touch probe library?

Is there any way to add a different tool diameter to the touch probe library??
I am installing a 2.2kw spindle and want to use my collection of 3/8 and 1/2 shank end mills.

Not sure you would need to add a bigger tool. The tool touches the probe and an electrical circuit is made letting the software know where to set zero. So a big or little flat bottomed tool would contact just the same. However the X and Y could make a difference but not for the Z. So you may be limited with bigger bits to just Z. For Vee bits they do not recommending using with the probe.

1 Like

As pr the current version of carbide motion this is not possible.(416)
There are other g-code senders that can be used with the shapeoko, that has possibilities to use macros. This allows you to do the probing with any tool diameter.

I personally use CNCjs and for me there are no drawbacks with this one, but there are several options if you want to have the macro possibility.

There is a list here, I do believe the most commonly used ones by shapeoko users are Carbide motion, UGS & CNCjs
https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Communication_/_Control

1 Like

I’d like to use cncjs. I’ve done a tiny bit of research but it seemed very complicated.
Is there a way to set up the parameters for HDZ and touch plate for a while novice using Windows 10.

Yes the parameters can be entered manually for the HDZ, but this only needs to be done once, and can be done from Carbide motion if you are not comfortable with setting it manually through MDI/console.

CNCjs might seem overwhelming when you read post’s about it on the forum, but it’s not complicated for the user at all in my opinion. It’s benefitial to have basic knowledge about G-code, if you don’t have, you will learn it easier also by use of this G-code sender.

The desktop version for Windows can be installed from here

@neilferreri has posted some very helpful macros here

Hopefully this helps you on your way, and don’t hesitate to ask if you have questions or issues.

2 Likes

@CCCnc how did it go? Did you get going with CNCjs?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.