Adjusting svg sizes without scaling?

I typically use Inkscape to design files and then bring them over into Carbide. My issue is that the file size in inkscape does not match the file size in Carbide. Example: I create a flag, it is 30x16.5 in Ikscape. When I brink it into Carbide, those dimensions are off by a bit. How can I adjust one dimension as in the length of a stripe without it automatically adjusting the height. I only want to make the stripe longer, not wider. I know I can use the boxes around the svg and move them in out out, but trying to get to an exact dimension is almost impossible. Is there a way to just type in my desired dimension for length or width without it atomatically adjusting the other? Does that make sense?

If I remember reading some of these kind of problems, it goes back to a dpi setting between Inkscape and Carbide.

1 Like

The secret is to export your files at 96 dpi. because that is the number that CC is looking for. It will keep all your dimensions as you have designed them.

2 Likes

How far off are they? Careful how you are using stroke width.
You want to use Geometric Bounding Box in Inkscape otherwise your stroke width is included in the dimension.

4 Likes

ok. Is there a way to just adjust one dimension without it automatically adjusting the other in Carbide?

Good shout, Neil. It can be easy to forget the stroke width when looking for dimensions that are not as specified.

1 Like

There are some limited editing facilities but they are, relatively speaking, quite primitive. You can turn nodes into bezier curves and delete nodes but from an ease of use perspective, it is easier to re-edit what you have drawn in the package of your choice.

CC is not an image editor. It can permit you to act on images for moving them, grouping and ungrouping them, scaling and copying. It is not the image editor you are looking for.

The trace function is, however, surprisingly easy to use and produces very good results. Bringing in images via the trace image button will often net you quite a clean .svg file. You will likely have to scale it but that is always easy enough when done by the numbers.

1 Like