Advance V-carve - P.R and F.R Help

Hi Team,

I’m in the process of making a sign for a family member. I will be using a pine board and will be using vcarve tooth path for the wording.

The sign will also have some tress. For the trees I would like to use Advance Vcarve.(First time using this tool path).

I plan to use the 1/8 endmill to pocket and then 90 vee bit. Once I set up the toolpath I notice the time for 2 trees was 74min. Seems like a long time for how small the trees are. I started doing some research and found a maker on YT that changes the plunge rate from 12.0 to 90 and the feed rate from 45 to 80. This reduced the time by alot. He did the same for the 1/8 endmill.

Do y’all think these are safe numbers to change the P.R and F.R? Is there a chance that by upping the speeds the pocket/carve can go wrong? Is there a guide of some sort that explains what speeds are safer than others?

I attached the file for your viewing. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance <— see what I did there. lol

THE CISNEROS SIGN.c2d (1.1 MB)

When I opened the file everything looked fine and the times seem reasonable.

I reduced my feeds and speeds on the 1/8 bit to 45 and the time changed from 22 minutes to 26 minutes.

One thing that I think may speed this up is your depth of pass.
The 1/8 EM is set for .05/pass and your max depth of cut for the project is .07". That’s a second pass on the small bit to get another .02". I suggest either setting your max depth to .05 or .1. If you are doing 2 passes you might as well get the maximum depth.

I like to set up my max depth and my depth per cut so they align better. IE Max depth is .12 and depth per pass at .06.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I just realized I uploaded the file after I had altered the specs per the YT video

By default the speeds are as follows. Per your reply I will assume it’s ok to crank up to those speeds without fear of the project being ruined. (Pic attached)

and thank you for the tip about the max depth. I will definitely be adjusting it per your suggestions.

Run a test cut with the 1/8 bit. If you push those small bits too hard they will break/ruin the project.

For the 60-degree v bit, those can handle the increased speeds and feeds much easier.

Thank you once again for your input! It came out great!

4 Likes

Great job.
I really like the trees and how the stain and carve POP!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.