Advance Vcarve Plunging Deeper Than Max Depth

Okay the issue I have is this:

Advance Vcarve plunges too deep.

I’m making the male portion of an inlay. The material thickness is 0.45 inches. It is a hardwood. I’ve created an offset around the image.

In the tool path set up I selected advance vcarve and for the pocket I’m using a 1/32 bit because some of the work is very detailed. Starting depth is 0.09 inches and max depth selected is 0.125 inches.

The pocketing operation performs without issue. After tool change to the 60 degree V bit the bitsetter measures it.

The first time I ran this program it started the Vcarve portion by plunging all the way down basically trying to make swiss cheese out of the wood. This time it started fine but then kept digging deeper and deeper into the material, pass the max depth almost into the waste board if not stopped.

I checked the bit and it was still secure in the collet so I don’t think it slipped during the operation.

Anyone else have this issue? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Post the file?

Possible causes are:

• endmill pulls out of collet
  • Z-axis is pulled down into the cut
  • steps are lost on retract due to a mechanical issue or interference
  • steps are lost on retract due to an issue w/ the electrical connections

If you can’t find anything obvious to address, let us know at support@carbide3d.com

Thanks for the info. I’ll check out those possibilities. I’ve added the file as well. Thanks again.

turtlesurfingmale.c2d (1.4 MB)

After a closer look at the bit there is a lot more of the bit’s shaft showing than there was when it was installed. It seems one way or another it was pulled into the work because it’s still too snug to pull by hand. Is there a solution for keeping that from happening?

We recommend that you only use the button to hand-tighten things so that they will stay in place while one fully tightens w/ a pair of good quality wrenches – you’ll need a low profile 13mm and 22mm stubby. The community has the following notes on Carbide Compact Router/Makita RT0700/0700 shaft and collet/nut wrench sizes:

You should also clean the collet and nut when you change the bits.

Anthony

1 Like

Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it and will do it on the next attempt.

Also, NO oil or lubrication. Many bits will come from the factory oily as a protection from corrosion, they should be cleaned off thoroughly.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue except with my brand new HDM the shaft isn’t moving (used a magic marker on the shaft to verify its location), I cleaned all lubrication and used the wrenches that came with the machine to tighten the collet. i’m just trying to carve simple letters into plywood, telling it to go only .05 inches in depth. With advance Vcarve, using carbides 60 degree vbit, it’ll carve all the letters within a couple of minutes but then the remaining 5 mins will start plunging holes at the end of each letters end. extremely annoying

Deeper than the rest of the carve?
What are your retract height settings?

Yes, it’s deeper than the rest of the carve. It’ll go through the entire carve perfectly then spend the last two or so minutes slowly going to each end of each letter and plunging slightly deeper holes than the rest of the depth of the letters. The retract height setting is 0.5 inches, Jog to bottom left corner of stock and zero x,y and z when bit is touching corner within paper thickness, zero height is top of stock, starting depth 0in, max depth .01 inches, tool is Amana RC-1148 60 degree Vcarve, tool path is advanced Vcarve.

Can you share your gcode?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.