Aggravation or Wahoo board

I’m wanting to use my Shapeoko to make an aggravation game board for my family. Our old board isn’t going to last much longer. I recently purchased this self centering marble drilling bit and I am wondering if I can use it on the Shapeoko. If not, is there one in the library that you recommend I use? How would I add it to my library in carbide create if I can use the self centering one?

I would recommend using a ball-nosed endmill and making 3D/round pockets with it as described at:

Thank you! Am I able to do it on the basic carbide create? I do not have 3D capability right now.

It’s free for 1 yr.

I already tried the Carbide create Pro just before Christmas and I spent time creating stuff and was not able to actually make anything. Unfortunately, I do not have the time. We are getting ready to PCS to Hawaii in June, so I am on a time crunch. I wanted to get it done before the machine is packed up for the move. Hawaii has a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place and in the off chance that it is not lifted before we arrive, we were planing on taking the board to have in the hotel room.

@Thurtado, forget the ballnose bit since you’re in a hurry. I’ve made many of those marble boards with just a 1/4" end mill. I used to use a 3/8" ballnose, but there wasn’t any advantage once the play begins and its slower to cut.

Pocket diameter for the hole should be 0.4245" with a depth of 0.130" .

PS. What does “PCS” stand for?

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it! PCS means permanent change of station, sorry I forget not everyone knows what it means.

1 Like

I have used Inkscape (free) and Makercam.com (free, but most browsers don’t run flash anymore. You have to download the standalone flash program, but it doesn’t need to be installed. And download the flash file from here. It is called “partkam.swf” but it is the code for the makercam.com website. I just have it in a folder on my desktop along with the makercam.com program and run it from there.)

Like @WillAdams wrote - a ball end router bit works great for the dimples for marbles. Herre is a Halatafl board I made using Inkscape and makercam.com

Makercam is nice because it allows peck drilling, and since I mainly make cribbage boards, that is a great feature to have. These dimples were made with a 5/8" diameter round nose bit and I ran them at 12K RPM and 10ipm plunge. I bought the 5/8" marbles from Moon Marble Company in the bulk section.

As far as depth, I just make a few dimples of increasing depth until I find one I like.

2 Likes

Your board looks awesome! Thank you for the help! I will look into the Makercam this evening.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.