Looking for ideas on how to make some cleaner cuts.
I created a little 1/4" thick widget to test my Aluminum cutting to see if I can improve my surface quality. The idea was to have something relatively small with both convex and concave surfaces.
I cut the shape out using 2D Adaptive (trochoidal milling) and am happy with how that worked. Then I took some finish passes to take out the machining marks and this is what I was left with.
I was kind of hoping for better.
Here is a closer look
What I am working with:
- Shapeoko 3XL
- Dewalt DW611
- Fusion 360
- 1/8" 2 flute Carbide TiAlN coated end mill with 0.015" rounded corners (After all work end mill looks like new),
- GWizard to calculate speeds and feeds
- 24,000RPM (This was recommended by GWizard regardless of what inputs I used, so I figured it was best)
- Climbing cuts
Finish passes tried:
- 2 passes 0.005"@50ipm
- 2 passes 0.005"@35ipm, w/ WD40
- 3 passes 0.0033"@35ipm w/WD40
- 3 passes 0.0033"@25ipm w/WD40
- 1 pass 0.010"@15ipm
- 1 pass 0.010"@10ipm
- 2 pass 0.005"@20ipm
Nothing seemed to make a difference.
Adjustments made to machine:
- Tightened X axis belt.
- Tightened X axis v-wheel (1 loose, all others okay)
- Tightened set screws on all pulleys (none were loose)
If this is as good as it gets than I can make it work. But if I can do better I would like to.