Another Carve Question

Your machine may be cutting the toolpath CC made correctly. At the depths it called for etc. The Groovee 60 degree bit is listed as 3/8 inch diameter. The CC preset 60 is 1/2 inch diameter. Depending on the sizes of letters etc in your design, these two bits can give different results with the same toolpath/Gcode. The simulation with a 0.5 in diameter 60 degree v bit may not equal reality when cut with a 3/8 in diameter 60.

I recommend adding a custom V tool with the correct diameter of 3/8, adjust your max depth to what you like based on the simulation using the custom bit, and try a cut in some scrap.

You say you’re zeroing manually, but how are you doing that? This really looks like the Z is simply too low.
Can you measure final depth with a caliper?
Are there any specs for the tip shape on that groovy v-bit? Does it have a flat?

1 Like

Hi Michele, hoping I can help out with this part.

“I’ve watched some videos and some say to set D to “stock bottom”, which makes no sense to me. In this file it was the preset of 0.070.”

Understanding that how deep a V-bit plunges during a cut is based on the distance between the letter’s edges and the bit’s angle. The greater the distance between the edges, the deeper the cut. So, setting Max Depth or “D” with too low of a value artificially constrains the depth of cut to that value resulting in a shallow incomplete cut.

See the pic below. Using a 30° bit in a .25” wide rectangle, the first cut on the left is with “D” set to “Stock Bottom” and the one in the middle is with “D” set to .125”.

So why set “D” to “Stock Bottom? In typical situations it’s just a quick and easy way to give Create the room to calculate the full range of Z-axis travel needed without you having to guess. However, in “non-typical” situations, watch that the calculated cut isn’t going to be greater than stock thickness or you could go through it. See cut on the right. :blush:

Sorry if too much detail here, but I hope it helps.

Brian

It’s not too much detail and I very much appreciate your help. I’ve watched videos showing the geometry of this. I am committed to studying and learning.

I have watched some Youtube video regarding this, but I just zone out. LOL! Your explanation does make sense for sure.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I have to keep reading/watching and playing with it. Problem is (I guess it’s not that big of a problem :grin: ) my Etsy shop is on fire. I’m using the machine plenty but I don’t have time to “play”.

Thank you again for helping me.

1 Like

Hey Bozo (gotta love that name!),

No - I was using the Carbide V 60 degree. I did get the Groovee Jenny in 60 and 90, but since I’ve been having issues, I figured I’d use the Carbide one since the speeds and feeds are set.

But I am making note of your reply for when I use my Groovees. :slight_smile:

I do the paper thing on the corner.

But I think you’re right. It is simply zero-ed too low. Like I said to Brian, I just have to play with it a bit.

I do have a bit zero, but I was under the impression that that doesn’t zero z a v bit. I have tried zeroing on my bit zero with a 1/4" endmill, then change to the V and let the bittsetter do it’s thing, but it still cuts too low. That’s why I went to manual.

You can use a BitZero to zero any (conductive) tool on the Z-axis only — or, just trust the BitSetter to manage the tool change and only zero using the BitZero w/ probing pins (it won’t get scuffed up so much).

Hey Will,

Thanks! I actually totally understand that answer. LOL! I’m unsure of my bitsetter at this point. I messed up and it was pushed in pretty good.

What has been your experience with this? I’m sure others are as dopey as me. :slight_smile:

It happens.

Let us know at support@carbide3d.com if you’re still in your warranty period.

If you’re out of warranty see:

Oh perfect! Even if I’m out of warranty, the price is reasonable. It’s only a $25 mistake. LOL!

Thanks again!

1 Like

I took a magnet and placed it on top with a drop of superglue. Still works fine.

I had already bought it when I got your message. :frowning: But thank you!

Have a great holiday weekend!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.