Another cheap source for genuine Makita trim router parts

Wanting to replace a Makita 3/8" Collet that I had lost, I found this site after referring to Makita UK. All of the parts are genuine Makita parts and part numbers. The cost was very reasonable.

The 3/8" collet was £3.99 ($5.46) including taxes
The 1/4" collet was £8.99 ($12.31) including taxes

If any of our USA cousins are considering possibly buying these, I would be happy order them on their behalf and post them at cost.

My two genuine Makita collets delivered, amounted to £16.97 total including postage. ($23.23) Then you would have to add whatever it would cost to mail them to the USA.

https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-rt0700c-110v-240v-14-corded-laminate-trimmer-router-spare-parts-s10954/

4 Likes

I ordered something recently and was dismayed to find a part missing. I rang the company, and the person with whom I spoke apologised and promised the part would be with me next day. It was delivered by Royal Mail before 09:00 so here is a shout out to the nice people at Power Tool Centre (partshopdirect) for their prompt and efficient correction to my order.

www.ptctools.co.uk

1 Like

Here in the US I use ereplacementparts.com for a lot of parts.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/makita-rt0700c-114-compact-router-parts-c-97_122_187904.html

I have ordered parts for a few different things around the house. It seems like an easy enough website to navigate, and parts are easy to find. Prices are reasonable and customer service speaks english.
(well, our version of it).

2 Likes

Good find Mike.

Out of curiosity (and because Makita is a global company) I compared the costs of a standard Makita 1/4" collet for their trim router. In the UK it is £8.99 ($12.31) and in the US it is $33.49 (£24.37). Regardless off currency differences, today the population of the US stands at 333,085,477 as opposed to the much smaller population number of 68,268,250 in the UK.

Economics 101 would state that the larger market gets the best prices. The UK market is just over 20% of the USA market and yet we get a price that is considerably cheaper than the US for the self same product. Go figure!

One possible reason might be that the ones you found are made in the Telford factory, and the ones Mike linked are made in and shipped from Japan?

2 Likes

Oh yes! That would certainly explain it.

That said, the stock collets are intended for hand use, so you’ll get much nicer results upgrading to the precision set, either from Carbide 3D or Elaire Corp.

My runout measurements revealed the variability of the stock collet to be 5 hundredths of a millimetre. Not that bad for $12.00.

Anyone who is working wood to a tolerance of 0.05mm gets my vote because they must be a master craftsman.

The Elaire collet displayed a runout measurement of 2 hundredths of a millimetre so there is one reason for the cost difference right there. Good to know that they are worth the money spent.

Edit to add that the results have assumed the router to have zero runout or there will be no means of quantifying the results.

2 Likes

Agreed. I think in these sorts of case the cause for concern is that this sort of variability is additive. So if your machine has a +/- of X%, then it makes sense not to add another variance from a sub-component like a collet if you can possibly do that.

1 Like

I would like to measure runout of the router but this is, likely as not, chasing unicorns.

The quality of the stock collets is wildly variable — some are fine, many are not.

Are Carbide 3D making their own collets or they bought in?

Will the runout be anything like Elaire’s 0.02mm?

Not sure if we’re outsourcing or making them in-house or a mix.

Runout should be low — anyone who is dissatisfied w/ or concerned about the runout on the precision collets should contact support@carbide3d.com and let us know the testing methodology and we will do our best to work things out.

Can you share the figures that Carbide uses as their acceptable data point for runout on the precision collet?