Another homebrew drag knife adapter

The announcement of the new StingRay drag knife accessory has reminded me to express my gratitude for an earlier post by Wunderaa. I’ve been using a variation of his design to explore cutting various thin materials. To hold material, I faced a piece of MDF, and attached a Cricut mat to it with painter’s tape.
To reduce adhesion on part of the mat, I rubbed an old t-shirt over it, following a technique from an internet post of lost provenance. For thinner films, the minimum cutting force is a bit much. For thicker materials, I increase the weight by adding a screw with washers - the picture shows that the mounting hole for the screw was not properly placed for the washers I had on hand, but it has been workable. Advantages of the Wunderaa approach are that the cutting force can be easily adjusted, and that the force is insensitive to the Shapeoko Z-height. Advantages of the new accessory are that it saves time and money.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.