Estlcam can be used in 2 ways:
- As standalone CAM with external CNC control software like Carbide Motion or Universal G-Code Sender.
There is a preset for Carbide Motion and also a generic GRBL preset available.
(However I never got much feedback about those presets - so if there is anything that needs to be changed or improved please let me know.)
- Or alternatively as CAM with integrated CNC controller - only this option requires reflashing the controller.
- Estlcam uses its own controller firmware instead of GRBL. It will automatically create a 1:1 binary backup of the controller and can be restored to factory settings with just 1 click.
- There is a Shapeoko 3 preset available (I have a Shapeoko 3 myself) - you just select the preset and the machines COM port, press “Program Arduino” and are ready to go.
Whether you use Estlcam or GRBL to control the machine is just a personal choice.
- I personally think most of you would enjoy Estlcams continuous jog mode (including Xbox360 gamepad support) and the way it handles workpiece setup and tool changes.
- The other differences are more subtle like e.g. a motion planner with unlimited look ahead and the ability to process hundreds of small line segments per second (e.g. for some 3d machining operations.)
(I’m the programmer of Estlcam - just let me know if there are any questions, suggestions or issues…)